milii care questions

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
So, how do I take care of a milii? I really like them and would like to learn about them before I get one...or two...or well...you know how it goes. :main_thumbsup: I would like to do a naturalistic set up since I have a 40 tall that has some room upwards. Can they be housed on sand? What about heat and light? Also, do they eat mealies like leos? Just the general info would be very nice to have.

Also, are they friendly? Thanks a bunch!

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I adore my U. milii! They are very social and tolerate handling well. I keep mine on a mixture of 50% ultra-fine ReptiSand and 50% sifted peat moss, with a cool side that is misted a few times a week. They won't tolerate heat like a leopard gecko does, so the warm side is kept at around 84 degrees with a cave. I keep a water bowl in their enclosure, but have never seen them drink out of it, nor have I seen them eat anything from a bowl. I feed them dusted crickets, and they are very enthusiastic eaters. They do not eat their skin after they shed, and do not use one area for defecation like leos do.

malt_geckos

So, you use a heating pad on the warm side with a thermostat? What type od therm are you using? I hate crickets. lol. Will they eat anything else? So, how much substrate do you put in? Like thickness wise... Also, I guess they are nochturnal? So no light....? What is their natural habitat? Are they nicer than levis levis? Thanks for the reply Marcia! I really love the way these little guys look! I can't get over those eyes! :D

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I keep them in 20-gal short tanks with about 2 inches of substrate, and a UTH on the warm end. A few will eat worms if offered by tongs, but they don't seem to be too interested in anything to eat that doesn't require them to chase it down. They are nocturnal, so don't require any lighting. They are much easier to work with than levis.

If you email me, I can send you a copy of the care sheet I just made for them.

Here is a pic of one of their tanks (you can see 3 of them in their cave hide:

GeckoRoom15.jpg

malt_geckos

AWWW! They are so cute with their little faces in that hide. lol. I like the set up you have...that pic above the tank is too cute! So, is their hide on the warm side? And the other side is misted? Thanks!

Sent you a PM. :D

Haroldo

I think Marcia did a good quick sum, however my experiences with milli (both the eastern and the southern forms) are a bit different.

I keep mine on sand (and before I get chastised, I have been doing so for many years). They have an inverted plant saucer for a "dry" hide and a tubberware container with a loam mix (half playsand/half coconut coir and peat moss. They are on the bottom of my racks, so they experience cooler temps than those higher up (those with 90* F basking spots). Many of mine regularly eat the shed skin, though admittedly, I'll find shed skin in their cage more often than say Eublepharis. Finally, most of my milli actually use a routine "dumping" spot in their cage.

Btw, nice setup Marcia...we'll have to talk again soon...

malt_geckos

Thanks Haroldo! I want to do a natural setup so I will be using logs and rock caves. That's interesting that yours eat the skin and Marcias don't....hmmm.

What thermostats are you all using to get the temp to around 84 degrees?

Visit our friends