Mold and Athletes Foot

Can I use Athletes Foot to cut back or stop the mold on my eggs. I currently have 4 eggs incubating and 2 have black on the sides of them. It looks like mold or mildew starting to grow on it. Do I need to use power? cream? Please let me know ASAP. Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some people dust their eggs with athletes foot powder (like "Desinex") to fight the mold. That will work unless the eggs are molding because they're going bad in which case you're out of luck.

Aliza

Gregg M

Registered Member
Honestly, dusting your eggs with an antifungal powder can and does suffocate eggs... The egg wall has tiny pores that take in oxygen and expell carbon dioxide... By dusting the egg with the powder you run a high risk of covering those pores and killing the eggs all together...

Besides that, the chemicals in those powders do not kill all strains of fungi or moulds, but more importantly, those chemicals can be harmful to a developing embryo...

I dont know why people give unproven methods up as advice when the advice you should be getting is to set up your incubation container properly...

Moulds and fungus will not grow on healthy eggs unless the conditions in your container are way too humid... Moulds and fungus usually only grow on dead or weak eggs... I have had eggs with fungus growth right next to healthy eggs and not one of the healthy eggs ever got fungus growth on them...

MonkeyBean

Gregg--because you didn't plug yourself I'll plug you--I suggest buying a few of Squamata concepts ' products. From what I've read you shouldn't have to deal with excess moisture and mold. It's what I'll be doing next season!

Cheers,
-Matt

Two things, He is one of the people who made the Squamata Concepts Boxes.... :)
Also I just bought one I talked to John. I can't wait until Friday (It should arrive then!)

Visit our friends