MOLD

MiamiLeos

anyone have trouble with keeping mold off the eggs? how can this be controlled? im using coco fiber as incubation material. thanks!

robin

do you have any ventilation holes on the container you are keeping the eggs in?

i know nothing of coco fiber so i do not know if that could be causing it.

robin

well the lack of vent hole COULD possibly be part of the problem. also there could be too much moisture in the coco fiber.

MiamiLeos

thanks guys. i will probably switch to vermiculite or perlite and ill put some pin holes in the lid. i've always just used coco fiber and this is the first time i've had a problem, but anyways. ill be switching :)

Vision Geckos

visiongeckos.com
Exposing eggs to the chemicals in foot powder is not a good idea. Instead, use perlite or vermiculite as the incubation medium. I haven't had much success with vermiculite personally, but some people prefer it. If you decide on perlite, I recommend using Albey's Method. It tells you exactly how to set up the incubation chamber and measure the medium.

MiamiLeos

well guys, turns out the eggs are infertile which probably contributed to the mold. first time breeder. she should be laying again soon though. i will be switching to vermiculite/perilite also. thanks for the input!

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
Exposing eggs to the chemicals in foot powder is not a good idea. Instead, use perlite or vermiculite as the incubation medium. I haven't had much success with vermiculite personally, but some people prefer it. If you decide on perlite, I recommend using Albey's Method. It tells you exactly how to set up the incubation chamber and measure the medium.

:main_thumbsup:

Coco fiber holds too much moisture, it is great for lay boxes or wet hides but I found out by experience that it is not a good incubation method. Good luck!

Visit our friends