Monapi wood for gecko enclosure?

Silas

I have a 24x18x36 enclosure coming and I want to create a bioactive terrarium for my crested gecko. I'm struggling to find big pieces of wood for my terrarium that are relatively cheap until I found Monapi wood at PetWorld. It says it's for aquariums but I've done research and it's pretty mold resistant.

I'm not particularly worried about mold or rot, as I'll have isopods and whatnot for that, but I do want to create a background (like in the example photo below) where I won't ever have to replace it. Should I use monapi wood for a crested gecko enclosure? Should I do anything before adding it in such as looking into reptile safe wood sealant?

TL;DR: I just want to make sure it's going to be safe for my crested + would last a very long time without having to be replaced

crested-gecko-enclosure.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's actually called "mopani" wood and it's a hardwood. In my opinion, if it can be in aquariums without leaching anything dangerous into the water, it should be fine in a gecko cage.

Aliza

Silas

It's actually called "mopani" wood and it's a hardwood. In my opinion, if it can be in aquariums without leaching anything dangerous into the water, it should be fine in a gecko cage.

Aliza
Oops my bad for the misspell. Thank you!

Visit our friends