More fun with "guess what's abnormal in the xray"

JordanAng420

The only hint I will give is: 7 year old Canine, spayed female dachsund, presented to my clinic with blood in her urine.

What is abnormal on this xray? Why does the dog have blood in her urine? (Took the pictures with my cell phone, sorry they're a little fuzzy)

If you're a veterinary professional and this is too easy for you, please refrain from answering until others have had a chance to.

xray.jpg

JordanAng420

LOL, good guess. But what you're looking at (I think), is actually part of the stomach. The dog had eaten REALLY well right before she came in for her appointment. Keep looking...remember the symptoms...

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Her bladder looks really dark. Bladder stone of some sort? Bladder infection? It could also be kidney... kidney stone since I see 2 dark spots actually one small and one really large. Plus aren't doxies genetically predispositioned to kidney/bladder stones? I see a lot of gas in the lower intestine, could just be residue from the large meal she just ate. The gas and bloated intestines could also be adding pressure to the kidney/bladder area causing additional trauma.

With the only symptom you're listing as blood in the urine that leads me to stones, tumors, and maybe an accompanying infection.

Too broad? :main_lipsrsealed:

I also see that this particular Doxie has an ID microchip :pleased:

Last edited:

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
I see lots of stones in the bladder. The X-ray for me is really small, as I'm on my iPhone and I cant blow it up any bigger, so since the bladder looks completely calcified, I'm going with stones! Poor pup!

JordanAng420

Bingo! Bladder stones. Two that we can see on x-ray, but the dog is scheduled for surgery tommorow, and we anticipate many more. She does also have a bladder infection secondary to the stones in her bladder...the combination of the two are causing the bloody urine. She's been straining to urinate for a few days, but I didn't want to give away too many clues.

With surgery and a proper urinary diet to dissolve the crystals that cause these stones, she should be fine. Good pickup on the microchip!

No kidney stones, but yes, quite a bit of gas.

I'll try to get better pics with a nicer camera next time so you guys can see the details. Y'all are smart cookies...I need to make it harder next time!

Quick (and VERY basic) anatomy lesson:

xray1.png

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Cute breakdown of the X-ray. I miss stuff like this. The clients we have are jokes. I miss the er stuff and getting to see so many different things =\ please post more! Example of our clients; today we euthanized a healthy, beautiful cat all because it urinated inappropriately a few times... The docs simple fix for the problem was to place a second litter box inside the home... The client refused and then said horrible horrible things to the doc. The doctor cried the entire time, of course the client had left us to do the dirty work... I'm so upset. /rant

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
That's really sad. I know our docs would refuse the euthanasia in that case. If anything, we would have taken the cat and tried to adopt it out if it were friendly. Unfortunately, people like that are often the name of the game in vet medicine.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
That's really sad. I know our docs would refuse the euthanasia in that case. If anything, we would have taken the cat and tried to adopt it out if it were friendly. Unfortunately, people like that are often the name of the game in vet medicine.

Yes, it is really sad, however the dr didn't feel like she had much of a choice. She initially wasn't going to euthanize the cat, but our clinic cannot take in any more animals to adopt out, we are broke. I'll be lucky if we stay in business within the next year. The lady didn't want the cat anymore and none of us could take her, we are all at our limits on how many animals we have. If we didn't perform the procedure, the animal would have either been dumped or taken to the humane society, were it would have been euthanized anyways. I wish the lady would have just tried the second litter box thing... Trust me, none of us were happy about it.

JordanAng420

The little dachsund did quite well today. We removed a total of 4 bladder stones and sent them off to the lab for analysis. She went home about 2 hours ago with pain medication, antibiotics, and a special urinary diet.

Now we need to get her to lose weight, so that she doesn't need ANOTHER surgery when she throws her back out.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Good luck with the weight loss, in my experience weight problems are the number one reason dogs have surgery. We recently had a husky who was on his SECOND cruciate because he weighs 140 lbs. His brother has one knee done already and will likely need a second as well because he's also over 100lbs. Dog looks like a freakin guy in a dog suit. And of course he's got a nasty attitude to boot. :)

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Fat dogs are no fun but unfortunately welive in a gluttonous society taht doesn't even notice when their pets are drastically overweight... a 140 pound husky is only about 90 pounds over weight. Mali's should be more like 80-90 but not huskies. I just had a client's whos friend had a pug that died at 6 from heart failure from being over weight and he'd been riding his butt for a YEAR about getting the pugs on a better diet. The 8 yr old pug was just diagnosed with diabetes from being overweight.

People see my dogs who are at teh right weight and think they been smokin crack... well 'cept for Ollie, but he's barrely, 10 yrs old, boxer with hypothyroid disorder so... but at least he cuts in and tucks where he aught to.

Porkchop when he got here...
window_lover-R0MGg.jpg

and now almost 2 years later (but it only took him maybe 4 months if that to lose the excess weight once his meds were figured out properly and diet adjusted to something good insted of kibbles and crap):

ollie_.4-2010-RxMPl.jpeg

and another just 'cause I love showin off ma dogs ;)
257023826949-wO4e6.jpeg

For his age and activity level he only needs 2 cups of food a day... most people would feed him 4 or 5 for his size just by going by what's on the bag. It's sad really.

BUT I'm glad the doixe pulled thru fine. Hopefully they take your advice on a good diet for the lil one. You sent the stones out to find out what kinda crystals they are?

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
Ugh, I hate when people look at my dog (or my boss's dogs) and comment on how skinny they look.
I hate to toot my own horn, but our dogs look GOOOOOOD. Almost show-ring condition. Let me try to find a couple pictures.

Ah! Here we go. Here is the blonde dog, Landon. Picture is at 15 weeks. He is now 17 weeks.
67080_1520955738994_1087560008_31337076_6786899_n.jpg

Visit our friends