!!!Mouth rot or some other infection?!!!

Vespa2628

I set up a new terrarium for my juvenile crested gecko with eco earth and a bunch of fake plants. I left her alone for about two weeks and I just took her back out tonight. I immediately noticed that her pitmentation was darker all over her body (went from a tan or sandy color to a light brownish) and she has a black line on her gum. There's one on both sides, but one is much bigger than the other. I haven't changed her diet at all but her terrarium did change, which probably had an increase in humidity (before she was in a smaller critter cage on paper towels as she was very little). I'm feeding her crickets and mealworms and zoo med juvenile crested gecko food dried (she won't touch it wet). Her appetite had not decreased from what I have seen but her activity level outside the cage has. Normally I couldnt keep her still but now shes been sitting in the same place for 10 mins. When she opens her mouth I can see that the line extends almost the length of one side of her gum on the inside, which I can't get a picture of because she won't keep her mouth open and she's really bitey so I'm not going to try to stick my fingers in her mouth. She seems to be licking her lips a lot more than usual. Do you think its an infection and what should I do? I'm attaching pictures of her and of her enclosure.

Attachments

• 20140517_231044.jpg
    20140517_231044.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20140517_231114.jpg
    20140517_231114.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20140505_231016.jpg
    20140505_231016.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

DrCarrotTail

I've never heard any breeders mentioning they use the ZooMed diet which makes me think it's not a high quality food, but I could be wrong. I feed a rotation of Clarks and Pangea diets. Repashy also makes one (though I've heard some geckos won't eat it) and Black Panther Zoological makes another. I offer 3-4 appropriately sized insects per week as the majority of their calories should come from the fruit-based diet they are on. Also, make sure her cage stays between 70-80 degrees and she gets misted at least twice a day with a period of lower humidity (50-60%) in between mistings.

In those pictures, your gecko's leg looks thickened and the joint looks rounder than it should be which makes me think you may also be dealing with a bit of MBD - which stems from the gecko not getting enough calcium in it's diet. The mouth spots may stem from the same issue or some sort of infection. I think your best bet would be to have her looked over by a qualified reptile vet. Arav.org is a great place to find one.

Good luck and keep us posted on how she does!

Visit our friends