Moved in together and not feeding. Help!

Arctic16

Hello everyone,

I recently moved in my two females in together into a nice new tank, giving them both more room. They seem to have taken well to each other, sleeping together in the same hides and seem to have enjoyed exploring their new home. However, it's been a week and they have yet to touch any of the mealworms I've put into the feeding dish. It's the same type of dish they've both eaten out of their whole lives, so I know it can't be that.

I know it's normal for it to take a while for them to get used to their new surroundings, but I've been getting worried now that it's been a week. Is there anything I can do to stimulate their appetite? Should I be worried at all?

larry26

Im no expert but i would wait like 2 more days and if nothing happens try seperating them or taking them to a vet.

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
Are the females the same size? Bullying is not always something you SEE. A vet visit is definitely overkill at this point, as it's only been a week of not eating.

How about your tank temps? What is the ground temperature over the UTH? What is their substrate?

Arctic16

They are the same size. No comparable difference. The tank is 90 degrees over the UTH and about 70-75 degrees on the cool side air temperature. I have them on repti-carpet.

If it was bullying would it be likely that the more dominant one would be eating while the other one isn't? Neither are at this point.

Again, tonight will be a week since I moved them in together. They've been drinking their fill, if that matters.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
I say give them a couple more weeks to get used to the change. They'll most likely start eating again within that time. Shouldn't be anything to be too concerned with just yet. :)

Arctic16

I just wish they'd eat already! They seem to completely ignore the worm dish, crawling over it an around it but they just don't seem to pay attention to what's inside. My geckos have never been ones to not eat due to changes/stress.

larry26

maybe you should try feeding the something else to eat like crickets and if they have a hard time getting them cut off the crickets jumping/ back legs

LizMarie

I saw give them more time. It's probably a shocker to go into a new environment and have a roommate. They might still be stressed.

G

Geck-O

Maybe you could try to drop a mealie in front of the 2 female and see if they are interested but I think that they are just settling into their new enviroment.

Arctic16

I'll get them some crickets and try the mealie idea. Unfortunately for my babies tomorrow I'm going back to college and their coming with me, so it's going to be a whole new environment. They've been in their new tank 2 weeks, hopefully this new change won't bother them TOO much. I'm obviously taking the new tank with me but I'm going to have to box them up and transport them to my apartment in Baltimore.

I was also thinking, my house here in NJ is a LOT colder than my apartment in Baltimore since it's obviously colder up here in my hometown. I thought perhaps this had something to do with it? Maybe the new environment combined with a colder temperatures outside and the draftiness of the place made them want to eat less? I don't know, it crossed my mind.

Visit our friends