Moving to sand

Khrysty

With gravel you still have *some* of the hygiene problems. If you're going to use it make sure to switch out the gravel periodically (bi-monthly, maybe?) or rinse it off. It may be harder to get the poop out, depending on the size of the gravel. And I know you keep saying you watch your gecko when it eats and you make sure no feeders escape, but know that if they do, they can burrow into the gravel, eat your gecko's feces, be ingested by your gecko, and cause a superfun bout of parasites.

I'm not saying don't use gravel, just saying you should know the consequences of doing so, and the ways to prevent it from being a bad thing.

:)

sammer021486

I see that you have decided not to use sand, but I wanted to let you know that I have gotten 2 leos that were kept on sand. The first one I got, her first poop was more than half sand. The second gecko was not eating very well because of being kept on sand, her previous owner said that she was not very aggressive towards eating and would let the crickets and meal worms just walk past her. Now that I have her and she is on paper towel, every time I walk past her tank she is right there at the glass watching me thinking that I am going to be dropping in some food. For being 2 years old she eats like a juvie and hatchling does. I couldn't really tell if she had any sand in her stools when I first got her because the sand was black, but her stools were very small, now her stools are extremely large and healthy looking after having her for only 3 weeks.

Slate tiles make an excellent substrate, I use it in my custom tanks, but paper towel in my 10 gallons. The slate is a breeze to clean too, I give them a scrub down in a vinegar/water solution then hit them with the heat gun to dry them off faster. Wait until they are cool to the touch then place them back in the tank.

To help with your temperatures get yourself a thermostat, the 500R Zoo Med thermostat runs like $35 and does an excellent job of controlling the temperatures. If your handy and have the parts laying around your house, you could purchase an unwired Ranco or Johnson thermostat for $50 and wire it up or get a pre-wired one for $80.

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
Using sand as a substrate knowing all that we know about impaction is nothing short of neglect. Leos lick everything in their surrounding area during feeding or otherwise. I hope your Leo(s) don't suffer from impaction because you choose to ignore well known facts.

MiamiLeos

gravel is much better than sand i will gladly admit. however, seeing that leos (and most reptiles) have a severely compromised immune system, i would still not advise gravel as a substrate just because of how difficult it would be to sanitize. i know its pretty and all, but cage carpets come in different colors and can look very nice as well. i use them myself and i love them. just my two cents.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I think the main point to focus on is that the OP needs a thermostat. Using a different substrate to mask the issue of temperature control is not a solution. If the heat pad is running too hot, get a thermostat or rheostat to get the temp where it needs to be, and then choose a suitable substrate. Ignoring an overheating heat pad is a recipe for disaster.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Also, how are you measuring your temps? You said they fluctuate from 99-104, but didn't mention how you got those readings. If it's from a dial or strip thermometer, the reading is probably inaccurate, invest in a temp gun or digital thermometer with probe, and take readings on the ground over the heat pad.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I totally agree with Tony C, you need to address your temp issues with your heating method(s), not just substrate. If you are using an UTH, you need to hook up a thermostat. There are plenty available on the market, many in the 30-50 dollar range. And quality temperature gauging devices are an absolute MUST when keeping any ectothermic species, not just reptiles. A temp gun or a digi thermometer is what you want. Those "stick on" thermometers are pretty much all pretty useless.

Now, once you have addressing your temperature issues, then it's time to look at substrate. Here are a few good reasons to use a non-loose substrate, i.e. tile, slate, paper towels, butcher paper, repti-carpet, etc:

-Non-loose substrates prevent substrate based impactions.

-Most non-loose substrates are either easy to clean(tile, carpet) or cheap and easily replaced(paper).

-Non-loose substrates allow easy monitoring of feces, giving you a better handle on if your gecko is defecating normally.

-The majority of non-loose substrates conduct heat well/are thin, allowing better options for providing the belly heat that leos require.

-Feeder insects can't burrow in non-loose substrates.

Now, I'm not saying geckos will eat large grade gravel, but gravel is quite hard to keep clean without bi-weekly sterilization(boiling) and offers none of the advantages of listed above.

I'm not quite sure why people insist on keeping animals on substrates that are proven time and time again by experts to be potentially hazardous. Even if you want something that looks "natural" in reality the health and well-being of your animals should be top priority over the "look" of the enclosure.

There, I've said my piece.

Sandyballs

Also, how are you measuring your temps? You said they fluctuate from 99-104, but didn't mention how you got those readings. If it's from a dial or strip thermometer, the reading is probably inaccurate, invest in a temp gun or digital thermometer with probe, and take readings on the ground over the heat pad.

I have one of those thermomoters that can measure the temp on the surface that it's in..........the other one is just for air temps but still when put on substrate it goes very high.............looking into the rehostrat(sorry can't spell);)

Sandyballs

I see that you have decided not to use sand, but I wanted to let you know that I have gotten 2 leos that were kept on sand. The first one I got, her first poop was more than half sand. The second gecko was not eating very well because of being kept on sand, her previous owner said that she was not very aggressive towards eating and would let the crickets and meal worms just walk past her. Now that I have her and she is on paper towel, every time I walk past her tank she is right there at the glass watching me thinking that I am going to be dropping in some food. For being 2 years old she eats like a juvie and hatchling does. I couldn't really tell if she had any sand in her stools when I first got her because the sand was black, but her stools were very small, now her stools are extremely large and healthy looking after having her for only 3 weeks.

Slate tiles make an excellent substrate, I use it in my custom tanks, but paper towel in my 10 gallons. The slate is a breeze to clean too, I give them a scrub down in a vinegar/water solution then hit them with the heat gun to dry them off faster. Wait until they are cool to the touch then place them back in the tank.

To help with your temperatures get yourself a thermostat, the 500R Zoo Med thermostat runs like $35 and does an excellent job of controlling the temperatures. If your handy and have the parts laying around your house, you could purchase an unwired Ranco or Johnson thermostat for $50 and wire it up or get a pre-wired one for $80.

Thanks for the adivise but what about coco fiber?......just teasing:main_laugh:...........I'm just going to buy some more repti-carpet to use in between cleanings and Im going to look for the thermostat when I have $.

MiamiLeos

awesome! i use repticarpet and i love it! if you feel the temps on the ground are too hot, put a layer of kitchen towel under the repti carpet. i have half my UTH covered by a towel so that one half is about 95 and the other is around 90 :)

Sandyballs

awesome! i use repticarpet and i love it! if you feel the temps on the ground are too hot, put a layer of kitchen towel under the repti carpet. i have half my UTH covered by a towel so that one half is about 95 and the other is around 90 :)

That's exacly what I've been doing!

GeckoTrouble

I have two or three sets of reptile carpet for each cage. That way I can pull a dirty one out and replace with a clean one and then toss the dirty in the washing machine

GeckoTrouble

I have extremely sensitive skin so the only detergent I use is Dr Bronners liquid soap (super cheap and cleans wonderfully) I also only wash on cold... then I drape the carpets over my shower rail to dry.

I have birds so once I week I do the bird and gecko laundry at once

lady.gekko

Maybe I missed it posted in the messages posted, but why not just use tile? Or I seen slate mentioned?

Tile is very easy to clean, so you can reuse it, it may be slightly more expensive depending on the style you get/size of your caging, but man that stuff is awesome!

I use it in my bearded dragon tanks, and their poo is nasty, but cleans up so easy and you can disinfect it so fast/easy. If you get one that isn't to course nothing gets trapped in the grooves. Holds heat very well too, but definitely get a rheostat, cause it can heat up fast if you use a UTH.

Neo.Reptiliac

I have a little dish that's about an inch high on the sides that I put my mealies inside. WITH the calcium in it as well. That way when they get some food they also get a little calcium/vit mix. I don't use sand, I use paper towels. But if I did this would still work just as fine.

Visit our friends