Multispecies (Ecosystem) Vivarium Ideas

Alex G

Hey guys,
I have some experience with reptiles, inverts, and plants, but no experience with fish. I want to make a vivarium that is a self-contained ecosystem, maybe not necessarily with things from the same part of the world but obviously things with the same humidity and temperature requirements. I was thinking it would be a vertical tank, with perhaps an arboreal tarantula at the top, small frogs and isopods/springtails at the bottom, and some sort of fish and clean up crew (possibly a betta and ghost shrimp or snail?) in a pond at the bottom, as well as plants throughout.

I'd really love input on species suggestions and care, as I've never attempted something this complicated before. For example, how would I clean the pond?

Thanks!

CPS

I have seen setups like this for fish/turtles living together and also amphibians/fish, but from all accounts they are very time-consuming to set up, balance, and clean. You basically have to clean the pond like a regular aquarium and then you have the vivarium part to clean. If you decide to do this good luck and make sure your species do not eat each other! :)

Visit our friends