my Bell Albino

Bonney425

not a junior
ok I have 4 leos just bought my first albino and I know their eyes are pretty sensitive. But how sensitive?? I've had her for 3 days and I've seen her eat but she only eats when a cricket wonders into the hide shes in. (wont touch mealies) then when i fed today she lunged out of her hide at a cricket then it seemed like she could no longer see it and she walked right over it. so i guess my question is are their eyes sensitive to the point of temporary blindness???

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Very young Albinos do have sensitive eyes, they tend to become far less sensitive with age. It always takes geckos a while to settle in to a new environment so that could be the reason that your new one hasn't started eating regularly yet. You could also try offering food in the evening when there's only a little light in the room.

Z

ZombieDharma

They are nocturnal by nature and hunt by night. Try feeding in the late evening or at night. They tend to be more alert and not sleepy. :p

Bonney425

not a junior
i usually do feed at night but i saw her eat a cricket that had hid underneath the paper towels so i threw another one in to see if she would eat it. and the cutains in the room are dark so the room was pretty dark when i gave her the cricket except for my red night viewing light. could that be bothering her??

Bonney425

not a junior
what i don't understand is not to be rude but i keep posting questions and i have never gotten an answer to anything i needed help with. I said it was my first albino not my first leo. i know they feed at night and i know it takes time for them to adjust to a new environment. my question was has anyone else ever had experience with a young (about 5 months) albino seeming as if they couldn't see at all. again sorry if i sound rude.

thekooliest

Website Creator
Hey its fine i know how you feel. its hard trying to get the perfect information. i will try to help you.
I know they dont like to eat in any light at all cause its very hard for them to see. they get used to light after about a year i have heard.

Rejoice in the Lord

I couldn't feed my bell albino crickets when he was young. He couldn't see them well enough to catch them. He also didn't seem to see meal worms at all even when I left them in his dish all night. I think they didn't move enough to catch his interest. For the first several months of his life, he ate medium sized super worms. They were a bit bigger than people suggest feeding to a baby, but they were the only thing he seemed to be able to see to catch. His eyesight is still poor at best, but he is able to eventually catch a cricket on his own. Now I am also offering discoids, which he seems to catch okay when I put them into a bowl.

Anytime he eats, he will strike several times before actually catching the insect.

Anyone know where you can get glasses for leos?

chaosapiant

I also have a Bell albino who is about 5 months old now as well, and she has no issues whatsoever coming out, even with the overhead light in my bedroom on, and hunting crickets or super worms. If your concerned about eye sensitivity, try looking at their pupils. I notice when I turn on the over head light, my girl's eye slits become very narrow. So instead I open up my walk-in closet, turn on that light, and turn off the over head light. Plenty of light for me to see her, and her eyes are bright and alert. Either way though, she has no issues hunting crickets, and I don't do anything to slow them down either, she's just become quite efficient.

bitterbeauty

Animal Lover
I have a bell albino as well and I would swear she either has poor eyesight or slight blindness. It is good news to know that when she gets older she will do better with light.

Visit our friends