My Computer Crashed!

BalloonzForU

Just to let everyone know my computer crashed about an hour ago. I'm having my tech guy come over tomorrow to make sure that my back up unit saved all my important files. After that I will have to do a complete recovery, and then load all my programs and restore all my files. I'm not sure how long this will take as I have many programs that I work with and 3 print drivers to install and two are HP (aarrggg) I had installing HP drivers, such a pain in the butt.

I'll be back in chat and posting again as soon as all is fixed.

Man is hubby's computer slow!!!

C

Cryptly

ouch! That stinks!

Good luck getting everything functional again and I hope all your files are saved.

R

rrhill

Computer crashes should be against the law. My desktop computer crashed no too long ago, apparently smacking the hell out of it to make the fan be quiet is not a good thing. At least I still got my laptop!

BalloonzForU

rrhill said:
Computer crashes should be against the law. My desktop computer crashed no too long ago, apparently smacking the hell out of it to make the fan be quiet is not a good thing. At least I still got my laptop!

LOL Ro, yeah not a good idea.

Well, they replaced my hard drive for free due to it being bad. I'm going to have someone check out to see if they can retrieve all my quickbooks files off of the old one. My back up unit, I guess was not programed to save those files but apparently saved everything else. aaarrrrggggg. So I have 6 months of billing to add back by hand (thank God for hard copy backups), as my last full back up that I did manually is from 12/05.

Got puter back at 2:30pm, restore is done, DSL modem installed and AOL running!!! :) At least I'm not without my internet, and GeckoForums.net. :)

One good thing about this, is it has given me motivation to finally hook up my 4th printer to this computer and find a place for it. May rearrange my desk again. We'll see!

Ian S.

I feel your pain so much! I updated the drivers for my sound card and came away with no sound. So then I uninstalled my sound card all together, reinstalled it in order to replace my old drivers, just to get a windows error upon reboot that reads Rundll error p17 helper cannot be found.(what ever that means) I researched that and basically to find out that creative labs.. (makers of my sound card) suck at writing drivers all together. Irregaurdless to say I'm now looking at reformating. (NOT FUN)
I wish better luck for you!

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
Ian, Creative is currently the best sound card manufacturer in the world. As far as drivers go, i wouldnt know. My mother board came with a built in high def sound card. lucky me. As for your problem felicia, if you cant recover the files, torch the drive and dump gas on it, thats all its good for. sorry bout your computer. if mine does that the small asian man at customer service over at cyber power is getting an ear full.

Ian S.

The NY Gecko said:
Ian, Creative is currently the best sound card manufacturer in the world. As far as drivers go.
Yeah thats what they say. So why did their drivers crash my sound & (DHTS) I'm upset.. I just got Half life 2 episode 1. and only played like two levels. I contacted their customer support and all they said was to call a phone number that would poss. run me about 60 dollars for thirty minuites. I researched their customer service history and there is about thirty patitions going with about 500-3500 sigs. Due to the fact that they're XFI cards are loaded with bugs and there haven't been any soft ware updates nor driver updates for about 2months.(thats basically what I read) I laughed my ass off. I'd rather just reformat so the originals drivers for the card will work again!

Last edited:
N

nora

Felicia.. here's an idea (incase someone hadnt mention it yet) burn all of your important files once you get them back onto your computer onto CDs. I had one CD for quickbooks files, one for Word Documents, and one for misc stuff. I did that with a lot of my important stuff, had a bad crash which I had to reformat my hard drive and only lost about a month's worth of info but that was all recoverable too since I had the paper copies.. (bleh!) but taking the time to burn some CD's was worth it thou in the long run .. =)

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
Here's my 2 cents

Buy a second hard drive, they're dirt cheap anymore. Use it only for backup, don't load an OS on it. Use your other hard drive for you're operating system and programs. So, if your computer craps out on you, you can reformat the drive with the OS. All of your information on your backup drive will remain. Just make sure to name your backup drive something fitting. When you go to format you can see what drive is what then. I did this for 3-4 years issue free, then I ran out of room and transferred everything to a larger drive. Everything has been issue free with the new one as well. The key is to not load an operating system on it, and only use it for backup.

CDs (re-writeables would be the smartest) are nice but when you burn a cd the info is out of date as soon as you make changes to the files. You're more likely to forget to do backups later on with cds, and external hard drives as well (if they're not hooked up 24/7).

As for the Creative drivers...they used to be crap 2-3 years ago but they've gotten better. The biggest problem with Creative now is that they have tons of different cards that all sound the same. It's easy to get yourself confused because you need the ones specific to your card. The good thing is, you can uninstall any current driver and install older ones from disk or the net. Creative should have all of the old drivers archived for download. So it's just a matter of reverting back to what worked.

BalloonzForU

Yeah, I have a 20gig hard drive from my old Dell that I could use for that. But since Dell is good at making nothing that works with anyting else I need to get another cable to make it work. Shoud l I use it as a slave or the 250gig as a slave. If I can remember the way that works the 250gig should be the slave right?

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
Make the drive with the operating system the master, and the backup drive the slave. It's your choice on what HD to use for which.

NaughtyDawg

One thing I ALWAYS do is partition the drive and save all your files on another partition other than where the OS is. That way when the os needs to redone you have your saved files. This doesn't help against a bad drive though, I have found when the drives do go it is usualy the electronics on the drive that crap out. If you get an identical fribe you can replace the electronics on the old drive and save it. This trick has saved me on many server's when the drives fail. Another trick is putting it in the freezer for a while to cool it down and install it back in your PC. This sometimes works long enough to save your files.

Bad hard drive....:main_thumbsdown:

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
Ian S. said:
Yeah thats what they say. So why did their drivers crash my sound & (DHTS) I'm upset.. I just got Half life 2 episode 1. and only played like two levels. I contacted their customer support and all they said was to call a phone number that would poss. run me about 60 dollars for thirty minuites. I researched their customer service history and there is about thirty patitions going with about 500-3500 sigs. Due to the fact that they're XFI cards are loaded with bugs and there haven't been any soft ware updates nor driver updates for about 2months.(thats basically what I read) I laughed my ass off. I'd rather just reformat so the originals drivers for the card will work again!
I want episode 1 so badly, but its retarded to pay 20 bucks for like a extra 8 hours of play, and episode 2 is coming soon.

Ian S.

The NY Gecko said:
I want episode 1 so badly, but its retarded to pay 20 bucks for like a extra 8 hours of play, and episode 2 is coming soon.
It's worth it!:main_thumbsup:

L

LadyGecko

I totally understand your pain and frustration
My HD on my laptop crashed a few weeks ago
Fortunately i had a 12 gig spare and that is what i am running on now
I love my laptop-its an older Compaq Armada 700 but it suits my needs just fine
I also love how easily you can pull the HD on them to switch or replace them
I am going to get another spare HD-I'm definitely thinking of going with at least a 40 or 60 gig-small by todays standard but still good enough for my needs
:D
You can also use USB flash/Jump drives for storage
I have some programs stored on a 1 gig flash and it sure helped me with getting the programs that i use back up and running
There are also websites popping up with storage for large program files etc.
I don't know how secure they are for anything related to financial or business records but they are good for storing programs that you don't have on a disk
I am going to try and do a complete restore on the HD that crashed
I have no clue as to what happened to it but I still want a spare in case this one goes out and that will have to do until i get the bucks to go and get one from EBay-LOL
Good Luck with your computer
They are wonderful when they are working but a real pain in the ass when they don't
When my computer acts up-I stare at it like an idiot in disbelief and i have been tempted many times to toss it out the window
Robin-Smacking it has come to mind too-LOL

Sandy

Visit our friends