My fat-tails are eating vermiculite!

jbuckets

Hey guys, I'm breeding my fat tails, and while my substrate in the tank is reptile carpet, I have an egg-laying box with vermiculite in it that I expect my little ones are eating.

I see a small amount of vermiculite in their feces, but I'm afraid of impaction. I used to keep moss in the egg box, but its inability to retain moisture was drying out my eggs before I could put them in the incubator.

Should I be concerned about impaction? Is there a better material I can use in my egg box that will allow the eggs to stay moist and buried without risk?

Any help would be appreciated!

cherishedtiger

I keep my guys on the coco-fiber stuff as their substrate. They always lay in their main hide and even if I don't see them for a day or so the eggs seem to stay decent. But that too has a chance of being ingested. It does hold moisture pretty well though :) hope that helps!
(my guys don't like the carpet, they like being able to sorta burrow themselves into their bedding and the coconut fiber seems to allow them to do that, plus it offers them humitity in their hides better).

Visit our friends