My gecko got lazy....

Rythm

She has been like this for a while, but I thought it was because I had bought meal worms since the whole city ran out of crickets for a week. She wouldn't eat the meal worms in the dish so I would hand feed her by cupping her in my left hand and putting the meallies to her mouth and she would chomp down. However since then she will not chase crickets anymore... ever. I have to do the whole cup her in my hand and feed her crickets individually.
Is anyone else's gecko lazy or is mine special? and is there any way to get her back into chasing crickets?

Rythm

Tried it.... she just didn't eat.....she'll look at them, follow them for a second, then walks away and doesn't pay attention anymore.

Rythm

Nope, she's a healthy size (not sure how much she weighs) but her tail is nice and fat. The only difference I have noticed is her colours are really dull. They used to be bright yellow but now it's more a washed out brown, even after she sheds. But she's still active, every night she's out climbing around her tank.

G

gekko.gurl

my one gecko has done this. He just doesnt' show a interest in crickets anymore. I don't hand feed him like you do though. He'll eat any type of worm from a dish, or on the floor. I would maybe just not feed for a few days eventually you're gecko will get hungry enough to want to hunt. If not maybe there's a deeper issue.

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
I have a gecko like this too. She won't eat on her own, at all. It started almost two years ago in October and since then has always had to be hand feed. She’s very fat, so I let her go 3 weeks without eating, still nothing. Every once in a while I’ll go a week without had feeding her and still nothing. I’ve just had to accept that she's not going to eat. But are the temps normal and is she drinking on her own? Mine are. (And by hand feeding I mean holding her in one hand and touching the worm on the side of her mouth until she bites it.)

mainelygeckos

I have a leo that has always been a pig..I got her in April and never had a problem with her eating...recently i decided to pair her with another female the same age to try and save on space (if they got along)..there was no fighting but one slowed down on eating considerably and the pig didn't eat at all...i again seperated them but she wouldn't pick back up on eating so i tried dropping them in her cage one day..one at a time and now she will not eat any other way. Every night i have to drop feeders in her cage one at a time. SHe no longer has a food dish in with her since she doesn't use it anyway. I don't mind hand feeding her this way tho but am glad they don't all do it because I would never be able to get them all fed one at a time that way. Imagine if I had like 30 gex and had to handfeed them all lmao!

Rythm

I have a gecko like this too. She won't eat on her own, at all. It started almost two years ago in October and since then has always had to be hand feed. She’s very fat, so I let her go 3 weeks without eating, still nothing. Every once in a while I’ll go a week without had feeding her and still nothing. I’ve just had to accept that she's not going to eat. But are the temps normal and is she drinking on her own? Mine are. (And by hand feeding I mean holding her in one hand and touching the worm on the side of her mouth until she bites it.)

I tried not feeding her and she gets hungry because when I finally hand feed her she'll eat a ton of crickets. But she's plenty active, her temps are fine. I don't think it has anything to do with her switch into the 70gal tank as this started when she was still in her smaller tank. I've tried the meal worms, dish and hand fed and she doesn't like them, she'll chomp them than spit them out. I may however try again.
It's actually kind of handy hand feeding her as if I let crickets out in the big tank, I would probably never find them again!

My new one on the other hand is a totally different story, he's eating like a beast! And boy is he fast!

Last edited:

Visit our friends