My Gecko isn't eating

C

Crystal

Hi. My Leopard gecko hasn't eaten or gone poop in over a month and now she's barely moving even when I turn her upside down. I don't know what to do.

C

Crystal

Just came back from the vet. They gave me some medicine and i have to force feed her baby food. They said if she doesn't get better within a week she's probably going to die. Please Pray!

C

Crystal

Sadly last night Sahara died. My dad said he would get me another one. My mom thinks it was the stress of being handled and she also thinks that she might have been lonely. I agree with her she liked it when she was with my friend's gecko. Later we're going to bury her.

C

Crystal

Her heat lamp was on and the two heating pads. She had water in her bowl. When I found her dead she was next to the side heating pad. That's where I had left her when we came home from the vet.

If someone will tell me how to get it on here i can take a picture of the tank if you want.

MiamiLeos

so sorry for your loss. at least you can find some comfort in the fact that she is not suffering anymore. i'm sure you did all you could to save her. this is the downside of pet ownership. my condolences.

C

Crystal

I know. Every time I go to near the tank I expect to see her.

sammer021486

I am sorry for your loss I have lost 2 geckos and a corn snake in my 3 years of keeping reptiles.

Could you describe your set up in greater detail. A heat lamp, and 2 heat pads sounds like a lot of heat was being provided.

prettyprincess3690

My mom thinks it was the stress of being handled and she also thinks that she might have been lonely.

She wouldn't have died from loneliness, leos do just fine (if not better) when they are housed alone. I also highly doubt that it was handling that killed her, unless she was dropped or something. Where did you purchase this leo from, and how old was it when it passed? There's a good chance that she was just a sick leo, especially if you recently purchased it from a pet store...it could have been parasites, impaction, etc.

What were your temperatures at? The warm side should be around 90-93 degrees, and the cool side should be room temperature. A heat lamp and 2 UTH's is A LOT. It would really help if you gave us some detailed information about your set up.

Regardless, if you do decide to get another leo:
#1: I'd recommend going with an experienced breeder rather than a pet store.
#2: You MUST thoroughly clean everything in your deceased leo's cage to remove any harmful bacteria.

C

Crystal

I am sorry for your loss I have lost 2 geckos and a corn snake in my 3 years of keeping reptiles.

Could you describe your set up in greater detail. A heat lamp, and 2 heat pads sounds like a lot of heat was being provided.

I have one heating pad on the right side of the tank and one underneath on the right side then the lamp was on the left side. Though that sounds like a lot of heat it didn't give off as much as it should. Usually the day temps were 70-80 and when it got to 90 it was usually a hot day. I used sand as the substrate. Do you want me to post a pic.?

C

Crystal

She wouldn't have died from loneliness, leos do just fine (if not better) when they are housed alone. I also highly doubt that it was handling that killed her, unless she was dropped or something. Where did you purchase this leo from, and how old was it when it passed? There's a good chance that she was just a sick leo, especially if you recently purchased it from a pet store...it could have been parasites, impaction, etc.

What were your temperatures at? The warm side should be around 90-93 degrees, and the cool side should be room temperature. A heat lamp and 2 UTH's is A LOT. It would really help if you gave us some detailed information about your set up.

Regardless, if you do decide to get another leo:
#1: I'd recommend going with an experienced breeder rather than a pet store.
#2: You MUST thoroughly clean everything in your deceased leo's cage to remove any harmful bacteria.

I got her at *****. She was about a year if not less when she died.

prettyprincess3690

I have one heating pad on the right side of the tank and one underneath on the right side then the lamp was on the left side. Though that sounds like a lot of heat it didn't give off as much as it should. Usually the day temps were 70-80 and when it got to 90 it was usually a hot day. I used sand as the substrate.

There's a possibility that sand could have caused impaction, but if the vet did a thorough exam, they probably would have noticed this. Also, your temperatures could have had an impact on your gecko. There should be a warm side and a cool side. The warm side should be around 90-93 degrees on top of the substrate (leos don't need ambient heat) and your cool side should around room temperature (between 70-80). There is also a possibility that she could have had parasites that caused her to slowly waste away, but if the vet did a fecal exam, they should have noticed this.

If you do get another leo, I'd highly recommend switching from sand to paper towel/repti-carpet/tile/slate. Sand (or any loose substrate) can be very hazardous to the health of leos because they have the ability to cause impaction.

C

Crystal

I am going to get another one and definetly change the sand to repti-carpet. They didn't do a fecal exam because there hadn't been any feces for about a month.

GeckoGal

GeckoGal
I would also buy a thermostat and not use the heat lamp. Plug a thermostat into the heat pads and set it for 94. The temperature could of killed her. Good move on changing to repti-carpet, paper towels work great too. Gecko's don't get too stressed out about handling if it's not to rough, and they do better when housed alone. But the temperature is a must!!! If it's to cold they won't eat because they can't digest. Do you use calcium supplements? Here's a good care sheet that I suggest you look at:http://www.geckosunlimited.com/comm.../35475-complete-leopard-gecko-care-sheet.html

sammer021486

all of those heating devices still sounds like too much. What brand are you using? I know for a fact that even exo-terra's smallest mat that is 4"x5" can put out 115F when it is not regulated. I haven't tried the 11"x17" or the 8"x8" mat unregulated though.

Pictures would be good to help visualize how your tank is set up.

Where abouts do you live, how warm is your house normally?

I live in Northern Ontario where temperatures can drop to -40F and stay there for a few days, normally it is around -4F to 14F outside for the majority of the days. My house normally is at 74F and all that I use are heat mats for my tanks. I am biased towards exo-terra heat mats due them being so thin and the placement of where the cord connects to the mat is exactly where I need it to be.

Before you do get another gecko, try to find a breeder in your area, the geckos that come from chain stores tend to be not too healthy. That is not to say that you wont find one that is heathy, quite a few people have lucked out and gotten healthy and unique looking geckos, but others have also gotten ones that weren't healthy.

Also a good washing with a vinegar/water solution to kill any parasites or germs that could be in the tank, hides, water bowl, etc.

What are you using for a thermometer analog ones can be fairly accurate, but a digital can provide better readings

Jama

I have one heating pad on the right side of the tank and one underneath on the right side then the lamp was on the left side. Though that sounds like a lot of heat it didn't give off as much as it should. Usually the day temps were 70-80 and when it got to 90 it was usually a hot day.

it's really odd that with all that heating equipment, the temp were only 70-80. try to get a new thermometer to compare them.

2 days ago i bought another thermometer, it look to me like it wasnt working ok so i put one next to the other. i found like a 10F difference between them.

C

Crystal

it's really odd that with all that heating equipment, the temp were only 70-80. try to get a new thermometer to compare them.

2 days ago i bought another thermometer, it look to me like it wasnt working ok so i put one next to the other. i found like a 10F difference between them.

I'm going to ask if I can get a different thermometer.

C

Crystal

all of those heating devices still sounds like too much. What brand are you using? I know for a fact that even exo-terra's smallest mat that is 4"x5" can put out 115F when it is not regulated. I haven't tried the 11"x17" or the 8"x8" mat unregulated though.

Pictures would be good to help visualize how your tank is set up.

Where abouts do you live, how warm is your house normally?

I live in Northern Ontario where temperatures can drop to -40F and stay there for a few days, normally it is around -4F to 14F outside for the majority of the days. My house normally is at 74F and all that I use are heat mats for my tanks. I am biased towards exo-terra heat mats due them being so thin and the placement of where the cord connects to the mat is exactly where I need it to be.

Before you do get another gecko, try to find a breeder in your area, the geckos that come from chain stores tend to be not too healthy. That is not to say that you wont find one that is heathy, quite a few people have lucked out and gotten healthy and unique looking geckos, but others have also gotten ones that weren't healthy.

Also a good washing with a vinegar/water solution to kill any parasites or germs that could be in the tank, hides, water bowl, etc.

What are you using for a thermometer analog ones can be fairly accurate, but a digital can provide better readings

The heater on the side is from Zoomed and seems to be working. The pad under I think is for Hermit Crabs because before I got a Leopard Gecko I had 3 Hermit Crabs. Normally the house temps are between 65-70 but it'l get warmer since it's getting colder. I'll see if I can post a pic. of the tank

Visit our friends