My geko sheds her skin all the time, does this mean she's stressed out ?.

Is my geko stressed out

• All

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anyone

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Sarah Mathewson

Hi my geko sheds her skin about 8 times over the last 6 month's, does this mean she's got stressed out ? Also she's also obsessed with my far dressing gown an will come out of her cage eat then make her way straight to wards my dressing gown were she's goes in the hood and sleep's. I'm scared that if I was to leave her unit to long she mite get cold so I sit her on my knee. Is this normal ?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Leopard geckos can have a number of unusual behaviors. I don't think 8 sheds in 6 months is unusual, especially if she's a juvenile. I also find that they can be cool for awhile without significant problems. When I was breeding, I would sometimes take my geckos from Boston to NY which meant they would be in their deli cups on a car ride to New London CT, overnight there in their cups, all day at the NY expo and then back to Boston, a total of about 24 hours at room temperature. Everyone did fine.

Aliza

Sarah Mathewson

Hi thank you for your reply, we've had her for about 9 months. Unfortunately she's a unwanted gift of a friend of mine and when she arrived she was in this stupid cage, with sand in the bottom and all she had was a silly tiny piece of wood that she could no longer fit under. I felt terrible and went and spent most my wages on a moist hide which she didn't have and a proper log hide and some plastic trees and reptile carpet now she looks quite happy. I wanted to buy some things she could climb on so if you have info on were an what to buy I'd be great full. Also about her obsession with my faity dressing gown is that normal? She can be really fussy an not want bothering with but because he didn't take time to let her get used to it being picked up she used to hit you with her tail now she happy an wants me to pick her up always.and exspeacilly if I have my dressing gown on

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I find that many leopard geckos like to to the same thing or be in the same place for awhile and then can change to something else. I'd say the dressing gown is a little unusual, but not completely off the wall. There is a hammock that attaches to the walls of the enclosure with suction cups. My leopard geckos had them at one time and really liked them. Otherwise, for the cheapest and most interesting stuff, go to a store like Home Depot and look in the hardware and PVC sections for interesting stuff.

Aliza

Sarah Mathewson

Thank you for your reply, I'll shall have a look at those climbing stuff for her . An I thought it was a little unusual for my geko to like my dressing gown. She's sitting with me as I write this. I've found the more I pick her up the more confident she's becoming in exploring around. I thank you for your advice.

Sarah Mathewson

I have a question, I feed my geko meal worms, I've tried her with baby crickets an she just let them run wild an dint bother to eat them. Is this because she's a babysitter just 2 years old or does this mean she generally just doesn't like them? I'm also a little bit warey on wen to feed her ! I feed her 8 meal worms every 2 days an maybe a couple in between. My partner says that there only ment to eat only every 3 - 4 days but I feel horrible about that , is he right ?
Do I feed her every 2 days or as he says every 3 - 4. Please let me know. And any more foods items you could mention would be great as I'd like to try her with something different.
Thank you

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I feed my geckos on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. There's nothing wrong with keeping a whole bowl of mealworms in the cage at all times. Is she 2 years old or 2 months old? Regardless of which one, the tiny crickets are too small for a leopard gecko, who may have trouble catching them. Adult crickets are fine for them. Some geckos just don't like crickets. Other feeders you can try include: dubia roaches, hornworms, silkworms, super worms.

Aliza

Visit our friends