My girl stopped eating...

K

KatieB

I tried to switch my Leo over to supers about 6 weeks ago. She ate one and kept it down, but has since then refused to eat. Right now Im syringe feeding her a powedered supplement for malnourished reptiles. She doesnt look any thinner than before this all started, but Im still worried.

brandy101010

I'm having the same problem with one of my girls. I just switched back to mealies and put one supper in the dish sometimes she falls for it, other times she does not. I'm hopeing she will grow to like them soon.

robin

here is a photo of what to look for on the underside of an ovulating gecko. look at the bright pink area.

Dscn0910.jpg

K

KatieB

Hmm, I checked her belly a few weeks ago, but Ill check again. Shes a wiggly thing.

ETA: Well, I dont see anything. Hmm

Last edited by a moderator:

LeosForLess

My gecko was ovulating but i figured out she will eat crickts, you can my thread which is titled almost exactly like your a lil way down, LOL.

J

Jedi Master Bruce

What are the ramifications and effects upon a female leopard gecko who begins ovulating? Do they stop eating? Lose weight? Lose tail fat? If she is not mated what effects does this have on her? Is this bad? What if you are trying to get her above 55 grams before mating her? Thank You.

robin

Jedi Master Bruce said:
What are the ramifications and effects upon a female leopard gecko who begins ovulating? Do they stop eating? Lose weight? Lose tail fat? If she is not mated what effects does this have on her? Is this bad? What if you are trying to get her above 55 grams before mating her? Thank You.
bruce i say no less that 50 grams but the bigger the better. if they begin to ovulate and are too small or not bred they can lay infetiles. it seems laying infertiles takes more of a toll on the gecko. allot of times if a female is ovulating they will cut back or stop eating all together generally not much weight is lost unless they begin to lay. not all females lay when ovulating and not bred, but some do. if she is not of weight and ovulating not being bred v. being bred, the outcome can be the same skinny thin gecko. possible infertles as well, egg binding. the best thing even if she is underweight is to not breed her. take her off the heat, if you cool them say like room temp rather than with a hot spot they will stop ovulating fairly quickly but some do continue to ovulate. lots of things come into play. now just as a reminder taking them off heat will cause them to cut back or stop feeding so you have to pay very close attention to when they stop ovulating so you can put them back on heat which will increase there metabolism and they should start eating again.

katie what are the cage temps?

Last edited:
K

KatieB

She sniffed the mealies, but didnt eat them. Thats what shes been doing: sniffing and licking, but no eating.

The warm side is 80 and the cool is low 70s.

robin

KatieB said:
She sniffed the mealies, but didnt eat them. Thats what shes been doing: sniffing and licking, but no eating.

The warm side is 80 and the cool is low 70s.
how need to up her warm side to about 90 degrees, this is why she may not be eating. let the cool side just be the ambient house temps but her warm side definately need to be warmed up. this may be your problem right here

K

KatieB

That seems kind of odd to me though. There hasnt been much of a fluctuation in temps(if anything its warmer), and she stopped eating.

The thermometer is about seven-eight inches from the bottom, so the air on the warm side is 80, but I would think the floor is a bit higher.

I really need to by a new temp gun...my sister broke it this past winter=\

K

KatieB

The adhesive is really stuck on there, but ill give it a shot after my dad moves his computer table from the front of the tank(hes fixing a website-_-)

K

KatieB

Well, she still hasnt eaten anything. Shes also pretty resistant to powdered food im syring(sp?)-feeding her. I try to smear it on her mouth but she wont have it. Her tail is also skinnier than it was before she went anorexic on me.

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

K

KatieB

She ate 2 crickets today, in case anyone is still reading;)

Hopefully she keeps it up.

K

KatieB

Nope:main_no:

Her tail did thin a bit though.

She ate two and ignored the rest, so im keeping my fingers crossed.

Visit our friends