My Leo Died ="(

Keitone

Ok some back story first.
I adopted/rescued 2 leopard geckos about a year ago, they were my first, and I fell in love with them. On was in perfect health the other hadnt eaten for a month before I got her and was missing all of her toes. Well I nursed her back to health after not eating for 2 months and she is doing great now.
My fiance decided that she wanted to get another. We went to a local swap and got a male enigma that was 2 months old. That was in may. I got really excited he was a male because the other 2 I have are female. I did some research about breeding them and all the different morphs, and ended up getting 2 female RAPTORS :main_thumbsup:.
I keep then on a rack I made, individually, in 27Qt sterlite containers on news paper. I feed them 4-6 times a week with tongs to make sure they are eating, and change their paper and water at the same time. I use the flexwatt heat tape and an off/on thermostat. I would like to get a proportional but it will have to wait a bit longer.

When I was feeding 2 days ago I found the male dead. I dont want to say he was refusing food but he wouldnt eat from the tongs. He would eat if I put the mealworms/crickets on the floor of his cage though. The last week before he died his feces wasnt solid and the day before I found him he hadnt been using the corner he usually does and had some feces on the bottom of his tail. This had me worried but I didnt think it was urgent based off previous experience. I was going to keep a really close eye on him. It just seemed to happen so fast. He hadnt lost any weight, he was growing well and his color was developing nicely. He did shed a few days before he died, and I thought he looked kind of pale but thought it was just the dim lighting. (I try and feed them in low light. They seem to startle less.)
I am trying to find a good vet in the area, if anyone can suggest one that would be awesome. I live in southern illinois.

Thanks
Keith

JordanAng420

I'm sorry for your loss, Keith. I had one of my leos pass away today too. It's truly heartbreaking to walk into the gecko room and find that your loved one has died. There's a pretty good site I know of, that has a state-by-state listing of herp vets: http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

Again, i'm sorry for your loss. I'm mourning with you. :(

Keitone

Thanks Jordan. I just dont know what happened it was so sudden or seemed to be.

That site doesnt list any vets near me. Thanks though.

Visit our friends