My LEO stopped eating...

Blacksupra94

My leopard gecko was once very fat and chunky but now she has a skinnier tail but her stomach looks fat. She has some Styrofoam grout pieces in her cage, could a Styrofoam impact her? What about soil? She seems to be alert still and just shed last night. She hasnt used the bathroom in a while either :(

Blacksupra94

She had soil in her cage too with the little white balls, i took it though. Can soil impact geckos? I tried to soak her in water but she just kept fighting me so it didnt happen, and her lower stomach has a very faint mark

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You could try putting a small drop of mineral oil on her nose and letting her lick it off. You could also try soaking her again in a small amount (1/2"-3/4") of warm water by putting her in the sink. She will try to get out, but it should be possible. If none of this works, I recommend a vet visit.

Aliza

A

AKA Stormie

I know that often times the little white balls in garden soil is perlite. It is used because it retains moisture and expands well in soil for plants. Not a good thing in a Gecko's tummy though. If that is what was in with her I would recommend a vet visit also if the other ideas don't work to get things moving again. Hope she gets better soon!

Ashlei

Blacksupra94

Thanks. I gave her the mineral oil and she pooped around 9 hours later. The poop was pretty nasty and watery, looked like a piece of soil was in there too. There was also greenish stuff in there and a clear puddle about 8 inches away from it. She still isn't eating but seems to be less restless now and is actually sleeping

Blacksupra94

For anybody with a simliar problem, my gf took her to a vet today when I was at school and the vet said she is not impacted, if she is its extremely mild. She is constipated though, so I got some stool softeners and slurry type stuff from them. I was also surprised at how cheap it was too, $94 which included more than just the office visit

Visit our friends