My Leo!

Ruby

Reico my leopard gecko. He's 4 years old, but I've only had him for a few months :)

Attachments

• GECKO.jpeg
    GECKO.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 63

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
He looks great!

BTW, be careful feeding him on that sandy substrate. Its not good for him to ingest it and can cause an impaction.

Ruby

He just licks at the sand occasionally, and has lived on it for almost 5 years, I do give him calcium supplements with his food anyway

Geckomaster743

He just licks at the sand occasionally, and has lived on it for almost 5 years, I do give him calcium supplements with his food anyway
I really suggest you take Leolovers Advice ( Meg ), Calcium sand is one of the Worst things you can give to a Gecko, Calcium sand is mainly for " Bearded Dragons ", Leo's can get sick in a lot of ways just by laying on it,Licking it, Taking in large amounts, And so on. Try using Reptile Carpet ( I hate it because its always snagging my lizards mouth but theres not much i can do until i get those Racks/Heating ) Any way Reptile Carpet is a lot better for your Leopard Gecko and its easier for him to get heat from because of the materials they use. If you don't want to take the risk of having him see a Vet or dying then change to Reptile Carpet, News Paper, Paper towel, Or any other Substrate that won't hurt your geckos and is soft. Never use Wood Chips - Sand - Calcium Sand. Pet Store employes don't do there research they tell you what they think.

Ruby

Well I was assured by my reptile store it was harmless...he seems to be okay after living on it for nearly 5 years though?

Sammerz1990

3 Year Member
I have my 2 geckos on repi-sand but i have 3 bowls in their cages 1 for food 1 for calcium and 1 for water, but once my sand runs out im switching to newspaper or paper towels... i have a never opened pack of repticarpet but i dont like that is snags the geckos nails and teeth so i dont think i will ever use it.

Geckomaster743

Yeah, I get free Spanish news Paper ( Not Sure why ) And i just Collect it off the Lawn. When i get enough ill put it in my Terirum, Then use the Rest for the Racks I'm getting, Any way News Paper is VERY Soft and sort of heavy unlike Paper Towel which shifts a lot so your geckos may get under it, Paper towels texture may also be a little scruffy on there Bellies and Snag there nails. NewsPaper: No Snags,Flat,Heavy,Claws Don't get Stuck, Soft, Captures Heat, Clean Texture. News Paper would be the Most Suitable for your geckos :D

Ruby

I'll probably try it out. LOL At first I though you were going to say you get a free Spanish newt :)

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Honestly, I had my first three on sand for years. But I'll never go back to it. I now use self-stick floor tiles, and they are so much easier to clean. They're attractive, nothing for nails or mouths to get caught on, and they're more rock like, which I think is more natural for leos. I use newspaper too, for hatchlings and quarantines. I know some people like to use actual stone floor tiles, too. But I didn't like the weight or the chance to crack my tanks.

Visit our friends