My leopard gecko setup and a question

Caleb C

i am new and i wanted to get in to this cuz i love how they look and how they are i got a 20 long x18x18 i am talking to a leopard gecko breeder he said its ok to put 3 in there so i oderd 2 female and one male i got a uth pad and a lamp with a red bulb and 3 hides one on the heat sid and one for the cooler and one in the middle of the tank so they can shed in that one is there anything im missing or need to do i also got a zoo med reptivite reptile vitamins with D3 if anyone can help me thank you
Hey Paul, that's actually a bad idea. It's best to get a minimum of two tanks for what you're getting.
A male has to be housed by himself, or else he will breed with the females. You don't want to breed them if you're new to geckos.

pli923

west coast leopard geckos i called the guy up and told him that i want to get a male tangeren and a normal female and a albino female and he said it would be ok for all to be in tha same tank as long u keek it at a certen tem in the tank and his geckos look healthy

Caleb C

Oh, I actually got my first Leo from them. Deformed front arms, they labelled it as a carrot tail when it barely had 10%. Cost me $60, which is way too much. They can only be housed together if you want to breed them, so you have to separate them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caleb C

Did you purchase them yet? If not, I would strongly advise only getting one as a beginner pet to know more about them and have real experience. If you do this, you will make a better choice buying the second or third one. I got a juvenile that had 50% more carrot tail than the one from west coast for $20 less. If you want to get them, go ahead, but make sure you have at least two tanks set up.

pli923

hey i have a zoo med uth pad and a zoo med lamp thats a dimmer with a zoo med nocturnal infrared bulb is this ok to use or is the lamp over kill i also have a reptitemp 500r remote sensor thermostat for both

Caleb C

How are the temps in your house? A uth is normally enough.
For the humid/cool hide, it's best to use something simple. Vermiculite can work, but a wet paper towel works fine. They will sometimes dig at the dirt or whatever loose substrate you have in there, and spill it all over the tank. Humid hides go on the cool side, and the hot side should have an empty hide.

pli923

i live in NY so it gets cold here and it gets cold at night here also ok i have 3 hides i was going to make the shed hide the one in the middle i should use wet paper towel in that one should i wet it every day right on the cooled side i have a 3 leve hide lol so all 3 can go in that one if they wanted to i have slot and i am starting to realy like the leopard geckos going to try this out and do my math and maybe breed them later after i know what im doing and know the leopard geckos in and out now the hot hide gos on top of my uth right

pli923

ok i keep hearing different things about that and people say yes and no so i will see if they breed i will take the male out

Caleb C

You shouldn't risk it at all. You shouldn't breed if you're new to a species. No matter how much you read, you won't have real experience until you have the pet.
Just get two females for now. After a while, if you want to breed them, get a male. Even then, you still have to house them separately until you want to breed them, then they need to be separated after breeding.

Star1

They will breed if they're together. I had 3 together not planning to breed them and I got eggs. You have to have them long enough to know they're healthy before you breed or it can cause serious problems with the female.

Visit our friends