my levis bites the his g'friend!

B

barbatus

I finally got a female for my levis male. Right now they are together in a 55 gallon palace ! complete with sand dunes, hides and various bowls for food etc. I was watching them tonight while I was spraying them with luke warm water ( they love this... they drink from the glass or anything they can pick up droplets from) I'm not sure if they are of "age" but I saw the male bite the females tail (I thought he was going to rip it off!) he took a bite at the base of her tail (yes they are 1.1) Is this normal behavior? did they have a domestic? After reading this forum I'm planning on housing them separately. Any thought are welcome ! Cheers !

warren63

This is gecko foreplay !! Freaked me out the first time i saw it happen too with my milii. Certainly is rough

I

ileventhal86

If they do mate and that female isn't old enough to carry eggs healthfully, then she most likely will die. How old is she?

Yes that definitely is foreplay though.

B

barbatus

I was told that she was a year old- I got her from the local herp shop... they sometimes dont even know what they carry- this gecko was kept with a day gecko (same enclosure) I hate supporting this store but I find myself rescuing their animals... once there was a guy with a Lawsons dragon in the store car park with his son saying that he got the dragon 1 yr ago and its now sick and he wont take it to a vet and the store wont accept it back. I gave him 10$ for him and treated him at home... his my top breeder now. Went off on a tangent there...Ohh by the way... I weighed my geckos and they come in at 9 grams... I think there is something wrong with my balance.. it was a $10 one. They look the same size as adults shown on the web (photos)

Zbiz

T.A.I.L. REPTILES
9 grams is way too small for breeding. From what i was told Knob tail females have to be at least 20.

I

ileventhal86

Usually at the very least, the high teens for levis. It does all depend though. It's rare to see a female N. levis levis for sale...let alone at a pet store. How much did you pick her up for?

B

barbatus

I got her for $400 - Visually she sexed as a female for sure. I think I need to get another balance. I will report back with numbers. Thanks guys ! I'll keep you posted.

I

ileventhal86

That's a really good price for a female levis that is not an old breeder!
Congrats

B

barbatus

Yeah she was a good deal.. they recently got some male milli and were selling them for 220 a piece... I think they got their hands on a breeders (don't know who's) collection. I didn't get to the milli on time. Okay so my female is 85mm s/v length.. I checked on my 10$ scale and she comes up as 9 and change grams.... I'm highly suspicious of my balance. I guess I will need to purchase another. Any recommendations?

B

barbatus

I have not found a good balance yet- but I can report with some new developments.... I was watching her the other night and she looked plump. I picked her up and she definitely has 2 eggs, one on each side. She is kept with her mate in a 60g tank with 2 inches of sand, 2 half coconuts also. I see them eating mealworms and crickets.

QUESTION- do people on this forum place a laying den for your geckos or just keep an hawk eye on them?

B

barbatus

And... an update. My balance is not broken she is 10 grams as of today. She is also not pregnant ! (relief!) she had two white things on her underside.. apparently they are pre-eggs. SHe is eating well and growing.. hopefully she will put on weight and when she reaches 20 grams or so I can introduce her to her mate. Sorry for the ups and downs!

Visit our friends