My new pet

Baners

Just wanted to share some pictures of my new Leachianus Henkeli. I got this little guy yesterday and I'm so excited! It's an Isle E born in November of last year, and doesn't have a name yet so I'm open to suggestions..

-I'll work on getting better pictures soon, I just didn't want to stress him out too much. Thanks for looking! :)

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Hey Nic,

I think I saw your new baby on another forum, but I'll say congrats on here too. What's your setup like that you're keeping it in?

He/she looks a bit thin, so make sure there humidity is up and there are good places to hide. Keep a small enclosure for now, they like the security. Feed CGD every other day or so, and I bet in no time you'll be posting pics of a very fat and happy little leachie.

Northstar Herp

WOW Kevin you really know your lechies lol

Thanks, that's a major overstatement. :p I have really learned a lot in my brief time as a leachie owner.

Tight enclosures, humidity and proper temps make a big difference for these guys. Mine was born in December, and in March, she weighed 12g, from that comparison and from the looks of this little new one, she hasn't been kept in optimal conditions. But they're hardy critters, and with a little correction on the husbandry end, I'm sure it will be plump in no time.

Baners

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments and suggestions!

Kevin:
I did post on another site as I couldn't contain my excitement to just one forum. Lol.

I have the little bugger in a 20qt tub with lots of vines, cork bark, fake leaves, and wood. I spray anywhere from once to three times daily (sometimes just very light mists), depending on the humidity level of the tub at the time, and making sure to not soak the paper towel substrate as well as let the tub dry out between sprays. I keep CGD and a water dish in the tub at all times, replacing the CGD every other day or so, and keep the tub in a darker corner away from any commotion.

I have been told that 20qt is too large for the little leachie's size, and had intentions of switching it to a 6qt tub today based on the advise of someone on the other forum I posted at. I had been waiting for the 1 week mark so that I wouldn't be switching everything up too soon, and much to my surprise when I took him out today, he had gained 4.4 grams! I am so pleased with the improvement that I have decided to keep him in the 20qt. I will continue to monitor weight and keep you all posted on his development.

Thanks again for all the great advise, it is ALWAYS appreciated :)

Northstar Herp

Nic, how about an update? In your last post it looked like your little guy had gained 20% of his body weight in almost no time. What's he up to now, how's he doing? How are you liking him?

Pics?

Visit our friends