My New Sudanese Plated Lizard!

Krow

I got this guy/girl at a local pet store. Every time I would go there to get worms and crix I would always stop and look at him/her.

It was also kind of a rescue because s/he had been in there forever and the lady had him/her in the same cage as 3 bearded dragons and s/he had layers and layers of shed skin stuck all over the place and also had 2 ticks.

Soon as I got him/her home I gave it a good soak and got all the shed off and s/he is much brighter now. I took some quick pics and now Im just gunna leave him/her alone to relax.

As you have read, I dont know the sex, so if anyone can tell or knows how to tell the help would be nice. The lady at the store said she thinks it may be a female, but who knows with her husbandry how much she really knows.

Regardless of its sex, I names him/her Knox. S/he is about 20 inches long.

Last edited:

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
As you have read, I dont know the sex, so if anyone can tell or knows how to tell the help would be nice. The lady at the store said she thinks it may be a female, but who knows with her husbandry how much she really knows.

They have a few sexually dimorphic characteristics when they are breeding age adults. Femoral pores are the most obvious, although that sort of necessitates a healthy animal and since they are present in both genders, it helps to have a group so that you can do comparisons. There are also some subtle differences in shape and proportion.

Edit: if you found ticks anywhere on the animal, be sure to give it a thorough inspection, especially along the lateral fold between the dorsal and ventral scales, the tympanum and around the base of the legs. And get a fecal done- they're usually WC and cleaning them up can be hit or miss depending on who the importer was.

Last edited:

Visit our friends