My new urrr comon house geckos?

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Hi,

I recently bought 2 geckos and was wondering what species they are? at the moment i only have one semi clear pic of Toda that can be found in this thread- http://www.geckoforums.net/showthread.php?p=313300#post313300

there are also pics of the tank and ventilation. I am a little worried that these holes may not give them enough air. if you agree i can cover the top of the tank in fly netting . that way they cant get out but it wont prevent air flow.

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Ive been doing some research, turns out i picked a doozy.
House gecko(Hemidactylus frenatus) never like to be handled. are nocturnal and pretty much wont come out of their hides except to eat. i picked the most anti social and unfriendly geckos out there lol

That would explain why they were so cheap. Think ill take them back and get a barking gecko.

DoubleZ

Please do a bit more research next time you buy a pet. For you and the animal's sake.

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
I will. I do not like putting any animal under unnecessary stress. I shall take these back and spend more time researching my next gecko before i buy it.

moosassah

I was also misled to believe they would be a good 1st pet. Can't blame the salesperson though. Jumping to a barking gecko (Tokay I believe) may not be a good choice either. They are known for their tempers & nasty bites.

If you want one you can handle, start out with a leopard gecko. It may take some time to get him used to being handled, but it can be done.

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
I would love to get a leo but i live in Australia so sadly its not possible. In the mean time ill be doing allot of reading up on Nephrurus milli's.

Visit our friends