My pet hamster is dying, cries

geckoqueen

I called the vet and he said he would give me antibiotics, but he also said because my hamster is so sick, it may, or may not do any good. My hamster is laying there hardly moving and white stuff is coming out of his mouth. :(
Grumpy was breathing heavy last night but now it's not so bad, but he is not eating, with his eyes closed. Grumpy is shaky to. He is 1 year and 5 months old.
I feel so sad right now. I keep crying and I keep talking to my hamster. He has food and water right next to him, with all his toys.. and he is on soft bedding, the good kind. My other hamster is doing well, he is playing and having a good time. No, they are not in the same tanks. The vet thinks it is respertory infection. I feel so bad. I'll let you all know how Grumpy is doing but right now, not so good, looks like he is dying. :(

geckoqueen

Doesn't sound good. :(
Sending positive energy your way!

Thank you. My hamster is moving now and eating some, which I hope he gets better. The vet is not open on Sat, or Sunday, so I have to wait until Monday. There are no other vets that see hamsters in my area. I checked. One of the vets is allergic to hamsters, then I think, why you a vet for? Most vets do not help hamsters, um hello Hamsters are pets to. I called 4 vets and only one could help me out. Anyway, I go in Monday to pick up the antibiotics for my hamster. I hope the little guy makes it by then. at least he is eating now and moving some. Maybe he just has a bad cold, but I am not sick, so he didn't get from me, as I am doing well.

Thanks for the positive energy. I think it maybe helping. The hamster is still sick but last night he started
to move and went for some food. I was so very happy. Maybe there is still hope!

Last edited:

geckoqueen

Consider it doubled!

Thank you. Well hamster seems to be doing better. I have a question. The vet is going to give me antibiotics, how you give that to a hamster? I never done it and my hamster loves to bite me. I will wear gloves, but how you open their mouths to give them their medicine? I am not experienced with this stuff.
I know my hamster has to take his meds, but how do i open his small mouth?

My one cat I had years ago. I had to open his mouth and he didn't want to, that was not fun. I did get the medication in him though. Even though I got scratched bad, but he had to take his medications.

Last edited:

geckoqueen

Grumpy cried hamster on me!!

I'm still going to the vet today but my hamster seems to be doing fine now. He was in his wheel, he is eating and moving. His eyes are open. He bit me, so he is back to normal, when grumpy was sick he let me pet him, now he went after some cheese I gave him and he is back to his old self. I am so happy.

Grumpy went from breathing heavy, laying still with white stuff coming out of his mouth, to breathing normal, and now no white stuff. I have not treated him yet. Maybe he was just sick, or something.

Good news! I think Grumpy is going to make it this time! :main_yes:..I really thought my hamster was dying, looks like he snapped out of his cold, and he is doing much better. Here I cried for nothing. But I am happy I was wrong about what I thought was happening. I moved his tank to a different location and give him water from the store, instead of tap water. He doing better.

Last edited:

JordanAng420

I am so glad your hamster is doing better! As far as the antibiotics, the only way i've ever been able to do it is to pry their little mouths open with the syringe, and then do your best to get whatever you can into there. It's a little tricky, but the vets office should be able to help you out some more and show you how to do it.

geckoqueen

My pet hamster is doing fine now, then maybe his big tank has something to do with it, these are not my tanks, but this is the size of my tank for one little dwarf hamster. I think he has enough room to run. Can you say spoiled dwarf hamster? He knows it.

I also use blue care fresh bedding, unlike this photo. Grumpy has a huge hamster wheel, with hiding places and Toilet paper rolls to chew on, with lots of food and water bottle. I also feed him cheese sometimes, or fruit, or veggies!

4591115907_62455a7af9.jpg

Last edited:

leolover23

I'm glad he's doing better and I hope he continues to! A long time ago I had hamsters and I had to go through the same thing, except mine ended for the worst. :( But I'm very happy for you! :)

A quick question: I noticed you said that you would feed your hamster fruits and veggies and sometimes cheese. Well, I remember from when I had gerbils that some kinds of veggies/fruits were bad or poisonous to them. Could that have been what caused the "illness"? Just something to look into :)

Best wishes, leolover23

Visit our friends