My poor Shadows :(

Misstasha

Well, I've posted pix of my dogs on here before - My crazy wolf dog ran away, our friend took her out to go pee and she jumped the fence, we found her 24 hours later on the side of the road, shes got a broken pelvis and a broken right leg... We had three options, amputate, euthanize, or see how she heals, while treating her with pain meds...

we decided to see how it heals on its own, we are taking her to the vet next week to get so me more x rays, if the bones aren't healing somewat properly, Shadows will have her back right leg amputated!!

Wish us luck everybody! Super nervous!
015.jpg

*dreaming about going outside lol*

014.jpg

*caught her while yawning, looks vicious doesn't it lol*

n510603887_419306_4732.jpg

*love suck*

019.jpg

*being gooofy*

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Yea, there really isnt much they can do for a broken pelvis anyways. Typically its 6weeks of cage rest and than recheck to see where you are. Obviously, just confine her movement as much as possible to a small cage! Only time she can walk is to use the bathroom =/ I am really sorry that this happened! We get these kind of emergencies in all of the time unfortunately. I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully they wont have to amputate.

MiamiLeos

i have heard similar stories with wold hybrids. they just got that wild side itch. amputation is not nearly as bad as it sounds though. the dogs usually never think twice about it, all they know is that the pain is gone. cheer up! we are all rooting for Shadows to make a full recovery, but 3 legs is better than the other alternative. keep your chin up.

Angel

beautiful pooch and I wouldnt mess with her after seeing that second pic lol looks mean =) Sounds like a rough week after bella and now her hope she recovers as well as bella did fingers crossed for her.

chachasushi

Poor baby. How awful that whoever hit her just kept going. Thank goodness you found her!! I agree about amputation not being so bad if it comes to that. At least not for Shadows.. she will adapt like she was a tripod all along. ;)

I had a foster kitten who broke her front right leg right at the elbow. I had the same options you had. Actually, I had to get a second opinion after my usual vet insisted I put her down. I was like "you want to pull the plug for a broken arm?! I pity your children." The second vet said we could amputate or wait and see. We chose wait and see. She healed but she had a limp and the vet said that she might have arthritis issues down the road and might still need amputation. We were prepared to just keep her as our own, but then we found a couple that was well-versed in special needs cats. They had THREE amputee kitties that they had rescued over the years and were prepared to take care of this kitten no matter what happened with her leg. They adopted her sister as well. We kept in touch and the kitten's limp eventually just went away. She has full use of her leg and has grown into a beautiful young cat.

I wish the same good fortune for Shadows!

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through this. When I was a kid there was a three legged Wolf hybrid that used to have a house in front of one of the liqour stores in my neighborhood. His name was Yukon. We used to always buy him pieces of beef jerky. He was our buddy. :) Yukon made the best of his situation. He got around pretty well for himself. I bet your dog could do the same if the situation calls for it. I hope the best for your beloved pet. I wish Shadows a speedy recovery.

Misstasha

thanks so much everybody :) Ya im not too worried about the amputation like i was in the past but I rather her be happy and healthy, be able to run, swim and jump on me like she always did. If the only way for tyhat to happen is to make her a tripod then thats what we will do. I have a very special bond with shadow, I'd sell my left arm to save her.

I keep you all up to date with what happens to her wen we take her to the vet this week - th inking monday or tuesday! I'm soo nervous!!!!

btw loved all your stories about pets you had in the past, made me feel better :)

pastelball

Hope she does ok. we had a Great pyrenees that we took in from a friend. The dog had been shot in the rear right femur that shattered the bone in the middle. They said they could pin it or amutate it. we went with the pin. The insterted a pin through the middle of the bone and bolted it about 2 inches from the ends. Now six months later. You would never know he had it done.

Also we have a sheppard/chow mix that has no ball on the right rear leg. She has no socket for the ball to sit in so the cut the end off so it would stop dislocating. it has been about 9 years agon. She was crated for about 30 days and she has been fine ever since. The left on is the same way as with no socket. But, with the right being so much stronger so the left has been left alone.

Misstasha

oh wow!! its crazy wat they can do in surgery!!!

We find out Thursday @ 6:15 what our options are :S I'm really really hoping we don't have to amputate but if she cant be the dog she was, being able to swim, run, and play with four legs it must be done!! I know being a tripod isn't the worst thing and she will adapt easier than myself, but its still hard to deal with :S

I'll update Thurday :)

goReptiles

I'm surprised they're making you make the decision in a week. Like someone said, usually 6 weeks to heal; hard to see much change in a week. My grandparents dog fractured both sides of her pelvis earlier this year and it healed fine. Personally, I'd wait a little longer before making the decision to amputate, but 3 legged dogs adapt just fine. I have one (she's missing a front leg).

Misstasha

Well she went to the vet today and they said shes healing amazingly well!!! we are gonna do some swim therapy for her to get strength in her legs - in 2-4 years theres a chance that the arthritis gets so bad that we will have to do a surgery that cuts part of the hip joint - so overall GREAAAT NEWS!!!

She puts weight on all four legs which is really good and the dr put the two x rays side by side and you could see the improvement!!! :D

Visit our friends