My Two Western Hognose Snakes

Charlie

I brought this last year, and honestly they are one of the funniest animals I own. So much character and fun to watch

387742_10150377698063240_646518239_8519786_367009069_n.jpg

Playing dead
Photo0586.jpg

Red_Hognose.jpg

Green_x_Yellow_Hognose.jpg

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Very cute! I too love the playing dead pose. How long have you had him?

Charlie

Umm... must be around 6 months to a year now - Will check when I get back home :) x

Geckomaster743

Wow! Im normally not intersted in Snakes but they are so Cute!!! Charlie you are Seriously a Lucky pet owner!

Gopherhockey03

I was watching a snakebites episode and they actually claim the Hognose is THE best starter snake. They said their temperament is like that of a corns and they never miss a meal!!! These guys really threw a wrench in my snake getting choice

Charlie

I understand they are rear-fang venomous, how is their temperments?

First off guys - thanks for all the comments, as stated before they are full of character and fun to watch. Though can prove hard to get eating on a regular basic, seems okay now though.

Leolover - Yeah they are rear fanged and venomous, nothing too serious more like a simple bee sting. Ive never been bitten from either of these two, nor any ive held else where. Their temperament is pretty good. They hiss and puff in their enclousure but once out and being handled they settle down and make good pets :) Just gotta learn not to give into them x

Charlie

I was watching a snakebites episode and they actually claim the Hognose is THE best starter snake. They said their temperament is like that of a corns and they never miss a meal!!! These guys really threw a wrench in my snake getting choice

Rubbish ! They are not the same temperament as a corn, they dont bite often but could seem scary with the hissy and puffing - and as stated above my male eats so much but the female tends to only eat once a week when she should be eating twice a week. I wouldnt suggest they are a first snake, maybe a second or someone that has alot of time and no fear haha.

Gopherhockey03

Rubbish ! They are not the same temperament as a corn, they dont bite often but could seem scary with the hissy and puffing - and as stated above my male eats so much but the female tends to only eat once a week when she should be eating twice a week. I wouldnt suggest they are a first snake, maybe a second or someone that has alot of time and no fear haha.

I'll find the episode for you ... They must be lying to up business... All they said was they are excellent snakes once you get them on rodents. The only problem they said with these guys is they are hard to get started on mice. Cause you have to scent them with dead toads (which doesn't sound to pleasant). Did you have to do this? And when I say Temperament I mean they rarely bite. He said he has been bitten triple more times by corns then by hognoses. I'm just going by what they said considering they are one of the number 1 snake breeders in the US.

Charlie

I'll find the episode for you ... They must be lying to up business... All they said was they are excellent snakes once you get them on rodents. The only problem they said with these guys is they are hard to get started on mice. Cause you have to scent them with dead toads (which doesn't sound to pleasant). Did you have to do this? And when I say Temperament I mean they rarely bite. He said he has been bitten triple more times by corns then by hognoses. I'm just going by what they said considering they are one of the number 1 snake breeders in the US.

Nah i believe you but I honestly would think they would be a ideal starting snake, but each to their own opinion. No because mine was Captive breed but even sometimes CB ones have problems. The female and male both eat Pinkie mice - but each sometimes miss a feed. They not losing weight so not too worried. Oh yeah I agree with the person with more bites from your average snake than these. They just make you jump when you think you killed one or they are being all huffy and hissy. But they rarely ever bite they head but or dry bite rather than get you with venom. x

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Thats good information to know Charlie! Thanks!

I love my milk snakes, but they are way too shy and bitey for a beginner. I'd never recommend them as starter snakes. I have considered the hog noses, they are really cute. I just didn't know much about them. Thanks for sharing!

Charlie

thanks for the comments. The hoggies are easy to keep and if you buy them captive breed. But they are quite scary if you dont suspect it x

Visit our friends