Need follicular stasis advice

Valpatal

About your leo:
- Sex female
- Age & Weight approx 2 yrs. 61 gm
- How long have you owned your leo 6 months
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend) Craig’slist

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo maybe once a week for 2-3 minutes
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. lethargic and not eating
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe. none in my care
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal) small brown formed pellet with white urate. Not tested for parasites
- When was the last time he/she went about 1 week ago
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on vet diagnosed with follicular stasis on Friday 3/27

Housing:
A) Enclosure 20 gal long glass tank with paper towel substrate
- Size
- Type (ex. glass tank)
- Type of substrate
- Hides, how many, what kind 3 hides - warm dry, cool dry and cool humid/moist (filled with approx 3” organic soil/cocoa coir to double as lay box)
B) Heating
- Heat source under tank heat pad with thermostat
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) warm side 85-90, cool side 74-78. Ambient humidity around 35-40%. Not measured in moist hide.
- Method of regulating heat source thermostat
- What are you using to measure your temps heat gun and digital thermometer/hygrometer
- Do you have any lights (describe) T5 ho uvb with approx 8 mo old 5% uvb about 24” from tank floor. Small household nightlight few feet away from tank
C) Cage mates None. Was housed with a male until I got them and separated them ASAP.
- How many (males, females)
- Describe health, or previous problems none known, however suspect and inconsistent and poor husbandry previously. Had been with several different owners before me and supplies I received with geckos were sadly lacking.

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) varied diet of meal worms, wax worms, silk worms, bsfl. Offer about 6-8 feeders (depending on size and acceptance. Offer food 3 times a week.
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) feed 1-2 at a time placing in tank with tongs
B) Supplements (describe how often) Repashy calcium plus every feeding on several feeders, Repashy super cal with no D in bowl in tank
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands)
- What are you gut loading food with Repashy bug burger, fresh organic fruit/veggies (kale, arugula, carrot, apple, etc) or diet specific to type of feeder.

Although new to leos, I am aware of the need for proper husbandry and believe that I have been providing to both my leos since getting them. I trust someone will let me know if I’m doing something wrong. I pray that I didn’t do anything which caused this problem for my sweet little girl.
My female has always been alert and a very good eater. Both my leos started to slow their eating down around December, so I assumed it was a seasonal change. However, the male’s appetite is back to normal and the females has dwindled down to nothing. She has also been physically slowing down to being lethargic now. At first I thought she may be ovulating and getting ready to lay some infertile eggs, as she was getting a plump abdomen. She hasn’t had any defined egg shapes visible in her belly though. As she hasn’t shown any interest in her lay box and hadn’t eaten in about a week, I took her to the vet this past Friday and they said she has follicular stasis and possibly peritonitis, will need surgery that I’ll need to go to another vet to have done. However, this vet was going to sedate her to obtain a full series of radiographs but didn’t as they had concerns for her breathing and heart. I asked how she could be put out for surgery if she can’t be sedated for radiographs and all I was told is that they would do blood work to decide her risk, but the risks are high for small reptiles and she may not survive any surgery. The vet implied that she may pass in the next 2 days, but we were sent home with metacam and enrofloxacin and advised to contact the surgical vet Monday. I asked if euthanasia may be more humane, and was told to give the antibiotic a chance, as it may clear up her problem. I’m so very confused. I’m also so very financially limited. That vet visit was just under $200 and I fear surgery would be priced way out of my ability to pay.
She’s now had 2 doses each of the antibiotic and metacam and I’ve been able to get her to lick up a few drops of water. She stayed in her warm hide all last night, but tonight has stayed in front of it since I medicated her a few hours ago. Is there a chance that the antibiotic will correct her problem or is it just buying time, clearing up possible infection? What are the risks and survival chances of leopard geckos needing this type of surgery? I love my sweet girl and this is breaking my heart, but would euthanasia be the most humane thing to do? I don’t want her to suffer.

Pics from waiting for vet to see her. *due to covid-19, tech takes animal in to see vet while you wait in car so I took her out for some heat

58F217CD-10C3-4B4F-A6AE-745D292D0013.jpeg 3179C5AB-4D50-4688-885E-321974B8FF4D.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here's an article I found about follicular stasis: http://www.supremegecko.com/follicular-stasis
Peritonitis would refer to an infection in the abdomen, which could happen if the follicles rupture. If there is an infection, the antibiotic may be helping. I have never knowingly had a gecko with this condition despite breeding for 13 years. I don't have specific advice. It makes sense to me to see the surgical vet and see what they have to say. Good luck with her.

Aliza

Valpatal

Here's an article I found about follicular stasis: http://www.supremegecko.com/follicular-stasis
Peritonitis would refer to an infection in the abdomen, which could happen if the follicles rupture. If there is an infection, the antibiotic may be helping. I have never knowingly had a gecko with this condition despite breeding for 13 years. I don't have specific advice. It makes sense to me to see the surgical vet and see what they have to say. Good luck with her.

Aliza
Many thanks for your reply. I had also taken my problem to another reptile forum and essentially received the same response and even the same link. Looking at the causative factors of stasis, she has had several of them. As the radiograph obtained wasn’t clear, it’s possible that it isn’t a reproductive issue at all.
So far she is holding her own and I’ve made a bsfl slurry which she has willingly licked a few drops of from a syringe. I will update once more is known or if any changes.

Valpatal

We went to the vet surgeon this AM and they were able to get a better radiographs of my girl’s belly. They saw no sign of follicles or eggs. She is impacted. They gave her an enema and laxative and now it’s just waiting for poo to happen. No idea how she could have gotten impacted. She was on calci sand before I got her, but that was months ago. Could it have stayed in her system, slowly plugging things up?

Visit our friends