Need help, can't tell if its eye infection or skin!

J

JWeb

My gecko has had her eye shut for a few days now, I tried soaking her, and flushing with warm water, and I just went and bought the eye drop flush from the pet store. Doesn't seem to be working but I've only applied it once so far. Basically, I need to know if this looks infected or if its just skin and will come out when she sheds or with more flushing! Thanks for any and all input!

I do have another pic but its too big to post on the forum. pm me and I'll email it if you need it.

mariex4

hi ok question 1 - does the eye when open have like sleep like a grey or semi clear thick stuff coming from the eye/s if the answer is yes then wash the eye with warm water for each wipe use another cotton ball as this can spred the infection , and then add the eye treatment i had to do this for about a week or 2 before it went

WUMPUS

I have that same problem with one of my geckos, I noticed it tuesday and managed to get her to open her eye, but every day I go back to check on her it's closed! I purchased Fluker's Repta Rinse hopefully that will help. ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED. Here's some pics of mine...

Taken 10-13-09

badwu.jpg

Taken 10-18-09 (after instilling Repta Rinse)

badeye.jpg

Taken 10-18-09 (her good eye, compared to her bad eye pictured above)

goodeye.jpg

JordanAng420

Wow, there are a TON of geckos with eye problems lately, and I seem to be answering a lot of them.

I am NOT a doctor, but I can give advice. The only thing I cannot do is give dosages and tell you to administer something without guidance from your vet. So before I start, you should ask a good vet about the advice anyone gives you over the internet.

Infections in reptiles can be viral, fungal, or bacterial. The first thing that comes to mind is conjunctivitis that could have occured from a simple retained shed, grain of sand, moss, or mealworm shed, repti-carpet fuzz, anything really...Ocular discharge is usually associated with bacterial infections of the conjunctiva in lizards and is associated with closure of the eyelids, an accumulation of the discharge under the eyelids...causing bulging of the eyelinds and a clear or opaque material noted when the eyelids are open. Local extension of any infection could result in loss of the eye, septicemia (total body infection- usually 100% fatal- I just lost a gecko to this) and death.

You should probably continue flushing with the pure saline, not regular water but that's it until you can contact a vet...I wouldn't use ANYTHING in an animals eye that a doctor doesn't recommend. Both geckos most likely need antibiotics, both optical and injectable or oral, an possibly several repeat visits to a good herp vet. This is one of those things that really needs to be seen by a vet who has seen many, many herps before and has seen and dealt with cases similar to yours. If you need help finding a good vet, a good site is: http://www.herpvetconnection.com/ find your state, then city, and call around. But my suggestion for both of you would be to make an appt. as soon as you can for BOTH geckos that are squinting.

Again, these are only suggestions, as I am not a doctor, but I hope I could help you a little bit.

Eye issues with leopard geckos should not be taken lightly!

Last edited:

Visit our friends