need help sexing Ginat Day Gecko [Phelsuma Grandis]

leejw0129

It's been about 2 weeks after I got a pair of Gianat day gecko.

As I remember, breeder said no.1 is male.

I thought so because he(?) attacked no.2 so many time like courtship as I know.
Even no.1 made sound like frog in front of no.2 so many times

But from yesterday, no.2 is hiding in a corner all the day. So I fed her(?) using long spoon.
Then no.1 followed spoon to snatch the food and attacked no.2 many times badly.

So I called the breeder and he said they are definitely a pair, he's seen eggs in their cage.
And recommended to separate them.
So I separated them.

Now, PLEASE see the femoral pores.

In my opinion, they both might be male.
In Korean reptile forum(I live in Korea), most of them say no.2 is male, half and half to no.1.

PLEASE, tell me your opinion and what should I do.

Of course I will contact the breeder tomorrow to show the photos.

And I'm afraid to separate them since some articles say that it may make them more violent.

InkedKakaoTalk_20200422_222414998_LI.jpg
InkedKakaoTalk_20200422_221831895_LI.jpg InkedKakaoTalk_20200422_221831895_01_LI.jpg InkedKakaoTalk_20200422_221831895_02_LI.jpg InkedKakaoTalk_20200422_221831895_03_LI.jpg Inked1587568659_Adjustments_LI.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think there's a chance they are both males, though I have limited experience with giant day geckos. Leopard gecko females can also have what looks like pores but they are more like depressions or pits than actual holes. Remember also, that day geckos can be quite territorial and not do well with other geckos of their species. If there's any way you can bring the geckos to the breeder and have them take a look it might resolve the issue.

Aliza

leejw0129

I think there's a chance they are both males, though I have limited experience with giant day geckos. Leopard gecko females can also have what looks like pores but they are more like depressions or pits than actual holes. Remember also, that day geckos can be quite territorial and not do well with other geckos of their species. If there's any way you can bring the geckos to the breeder and have them take a look it might resolve the issue.

Aliza

Hi, Thank you for your opinion. I called the breeder again and he said the big one(no.2) is definitely male.
I think I have to trust him for now...

Thanky you

Visit our friends