NEED HELP! Surprise Egg! No Supplies! First Egg Ever!

DmanXcell

Holy Bejesus! My new leo jut laid an egg!

So I bought a new female leo circa 2 - 3 weeks ago, and, as I said, she just laid me a surprise egg! I feel very blessed, but I am completely unprepared, and I'm leaving on a 7 day vacation tomorrow morning! I know that the females can store sperm for their next clutch, but I have no idea if she was bred this season or not (I'll find that out next), so she might be fertile. I need a quick idea for an incubator that is super cheap and super easy to set up (DIY?). I can probably run out to the store today or tonight to get supplies, but time is limited! Any help at all is greatly appreciated!

I just cannot believe that just happened :)

Thanks!
-Dylan

RUBYsoho

Wow, that's so awesome! You seem elated - I would be, too. Unfortunately, I know nothing about egg incubation lol :main_huh: Just wanted to congratulate you! Hopefully, someone responds soon, so as to give you some peace of mind while you're away.

Good Luck!
Rich

Kjenkins

Hey I just send you a msg. Candle it and get back with me. I bought my incubator at royal king for 42. It works great. If its fertial you will love the color you get I can post pic's of some of her children for you. Her you go this is Tang he is one of her babies. Father is the emerine male I was selling when you got Fat from me. This is an old pic of Tang he is brighter now and has a ton of bright green from his dad. tang.jpg

DmanXcell

So I went ahead and candled it, and it was a very light yellow. There may have been some green, but then again, I'm an optimist. That's a beautiful baby that I'd love to hatch if there is something in the egg. Fat was digging all throughout the cage, and I'm sure Cleo has had enough of that! Do you have any DIY ideas that are like $20 or less, cause I really don't have the money to spend right now (high school life) :( Thanks for all the help so far guys! It's been crazy!!!

Thanks!
-Dylan

LeopardGeckoMom

Yellow is not a good sign but you never know.. You could do a DIY incubator, there are lots of ideas on YouTube.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

tb144050

I have good luck with some yellow-green tinted eggs. They usually turn reddish as they develop internally if they are good. Incubate until it is obviously bad or hatches.

As already suggested: Look on youtube for "DIY incubator." you will need a thermostat and a heatsource......the rest is improvisation.

Kjenkins

Ok I would give it a few days and candle it again. There are few ideas that only need a cooler heatpad and water bottles on you tube. I personally have not had luck with that but there are people that do. I hope everything go's well for you I would love to she more babies from Fat. Tang is such a pretty boy. His sister is very dark compared to him. Sorry I sent you a surprise but if its fertile you got an extra gecko for free. lol If you need more help just ask start with you tube tho and work from there. Just put the egg in the cup I sent her in if you have moss damp it and lay the egg on it. It will work for now. Set the cup in a place thats not to cold untill you get your incubator put together. Any Q's just ask I'll try to help. Good luck my friend.

DmanXcell

I really do like the ideas, but I think I'm going to have a funeral for it :'( Because I leave early tomorrow morning, I'm not going to be able to care for it. If it is not fertile and molds over, the house will smell awful and it will be a mess. I really did not want to do it, but I'm completely unprepared for it and need more time to get housing, food, heat, ect. for babies. I would really love to start caring for babies, but that cannot be done this season for me. I'll definitely buy a male for next year and try my luck at breeding, though. I'll be using all of your advice when I start! Thanks so much for all the quick help you gave me. I'm just afraid it is bad timing. I feel so blessed though! I hope it turns out better next year! Fat has been such a good mom to the egg! It's so sad to see the egg go!

Thanks!
-Dylan

Kjenkins

There is no sham in admitting you are not ready. I was tolaly not ready for my first eggs witch end up being infertile. Do your research, get your supplies ready, and start over. Now I will worn you she msy lay a few more eggs even if there not fertile and with out a male present. So just don't freak out. Just let her lay them give her a bit than take them and discard them. Than when your ready you know you have a good breeder. Sorry it didn't work out for you this time but if it was yellow more than likely nothing would have come of it anyway. I hope that gives you some pease of mind.

Wildvaranus

When the egg is first laid it is usually all yellow when candled except a very small faint pinkish red vain u have to roll the egg over to see sometimes. Dont worry leopard gecko eggs can be rolled as the embryo rolls with it and does not drown. As long as there is a sign of pink/red vain in the egg it could be live and fertile.

DrCarrotTail

$20 is a pretty tight budget to work on. Most home made incubators need a thermostat to run properly and the manufactured ones with a built in thermostat start around $40. Basically you'll need an insulated box, a heat source and a way to regulate it so it stays over 80 and under 90 degrees. If the temperature fluctuates too much the baby may not make it or may hatched deformed. I know you didn't know you would have an egg until the last moment but if you are planning to make an incubator it might be a better idea to test out your equipment and wait until your next egg to attempt hatching it just to be sure nothing goes awry with the baby's development.

Good luck!

Visit our friends