Need help with GEO organizer

sheepherder

:)
Is this too much condensation on the lid? This is my first week incubating eggs (ever)..lol

100_2303_March31_2014_week1_Lid_condensation.jpg

U should have seen the condensation i was getting. lol
As soon as i dumped some of the water off and tossed a little of the perlite to put a gap between the sub. and nest...condensation problem solved. I think it had a lot to do with how close the perlite was to the lid. Putting the second tack hole in the lid is solid advice, that helped also. :)

tb144050

That is quite a bit of condensation. Looks like you have one hole in the top. I would try two holes, and see if that doesn't help.

Here's another pic I took at the same time as the pic above. In this pic, you can see the trace-amount of condensation on the lid a little better (on the part of the lid hanging OFF of the counter). This is the same amount of condensation that is on the inside of the container (not higher than the perlite).

If, after looking at this pic, you think it is too much, I will poke a 2nd hole. :D I do have 1-2mm of standing water at the bottom of the perlite (per lengthy discussion in another thread). :D

100_2302.jpg

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
All of my lids have two holes & it works for me. I have only a slight amount of condensation. One thing to remember, right before they hatch....you will see an increased amount of condensation....this is normal.

GulfCoastGeckos

tb144050

Another hole, coming up!! :D As already stated, these are my first eggs ever, so I am following all good advice. These have only been in the incubator for 5 days, so it is wayy too early for "extra condensation when close to hatching". I am gonna put in a 2nd hole because, at the very least, "extra condensation when close to hatching" will be wayyy too much condensation dripping. :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
At the risk of giving conflicting advice, I never put any holes in the egg containers and things work fine.

Aliza

sheepherder

I've noticed that a lot of people don't punch holes in any incubation containers and get great results. From what I've read, most open the containers periodically (once a wk or so) to air out the eggs for a few min. and get great results.
Do you do this also Aliza?

tb144050

At the risk of giving conflicting advice, I never put any holes in the egg containers and things work fine.

Aliza

I watched the deli cup for a couple of days without poking a 2nd hole in the top. (There is one already poked "on arrival" in the GEO-kit lids.)

When I opened the lid on the 7th day of first-eggs' incubation (for air and to add 2 eggs from Rosie), I noticed that the condensation on the top had gotten heavier and was in slightly larger drops. So I wiped off the condensation from the lid, poked a 2nd hole.

**NOTE: My "ratio" is not "set" per anything. I started with the GEO-recommended ratio, but then I removed 3/8" of perlite (to create an airgap), and then I added water until I had about 1-2mm of standing water. I don't know how well this will work out, I just don't want to ruin eggs if water drips ONTO them. :O**

Since yesterday morning, I see only 10% of that condensation has returned. This 10% is in a crescent-moon shape and it is ONLY on the outer perimeter of the 1/4 section that DOES NOT have eggs.

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
Sounds like you are getting it under control. The two hole suggestion is from yourgeckoguy....."Then you will need to punch 2 pin holes in the center of the cup on top of the lid. We use a tack or a pin". I think they are the originators of the GEO cup.

GulfCoastGeckos

tb144050

Sounds like you are getting it under control. The two hole suggestion is from yourgeckoguy....."Then you will need to punch 2 pin holes in the center of the cup on top of the lid. We use a tack or a pin". I think they are the originators of the GEO cup.

GulfCoastGeckos

Yup! :) I was hoping for Aliza's method because it requires less monitoring/maintenance (add water if it goes dry). I guess my ratio is just too damp.

sheepherder

I think i'm going to try using even less water because i'm still getting more condensation than i would like. There realy little droplets that form and i dont think that they'd ever get big enough to drop down on the eggs, but, my fear is when i have to open them for any reason, that i might get the eggs wet.
How dangerous is the condensation on the lid to fertile eggs. Is there really a legitimate concern, or should i not be too worried about it. i dont want to over-think/over analyse things if the risk is minimal.
I say some video's online of people using geo's and actually wetting the perlite thoroughly and dumping all of the water off, and still not needing to add any water full term, so i don't know what to think.

All i know is that i don't want to ruin any more eggs. I have 5 fertile eggs in the incubator now (out of 10) laid so far.
My last female to ovulate was mated exactly 12 days before having her 1st clutch. Wow! that was faster than expected. it was a single egg, but still...

Visit our friends