need new feeder(s)

daveim

cats, dogs, lizards, etc.
I need someone to recommend new feeders for my leo. I've tried crickets, but couldn't keep them alive for more than a few days and they're really expensive. I've tried mealies with a little more success... I still have a container full of dead mealworm and beetle bodies in my room that I dont have the guts to clean out. Need I say more? I've also tried pheonix worms, and they work out better, but most die before I can feed them to my lizards. Any recommendations?

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
Superworms but not from a petstore unless they buy in bulk from a supplier if they in the lil tubs saying like 250-500 worms then don't buy from there. I would try superworms for sure they are hardy and you dont have to put them in the fridge, other thing is roaches. both are good staples. Mealworms are good too just need to keep them in the fridge and take them out every few days to feed them and put them in the fridge otherwise they will die or pupae into beetles left in room temp. I don't know what your leos like. I know i feed supers and crickets, and i am going to start on roaches soon and i am seeing if mine like mealies too. i haven't had too much of a problem with crickets staying alive i keep mine about 2weeks with about 20% of a 1000 crickets dead generally sometimes more sometimes less. but i buy from only one petstore they get in good crickets 90 percent of the time. i suggest the internet for your feeders. do you have more than one leo? or any other lizards?

Danielle

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You may want to post some information about how you've been keeping your crickets and mealworms. Although there are other feeders, like superworms, most of them can only be gotten online in bulk and that may not work for you. We may be able to suggest some modifications so your current feeders last longer.

Aliza

L

leegooman2323

I buy 2-3 dozen crickets at a time and am able to keep them alive for as long as needed. Make sure you are putting food in their to "gut-load" them. As they say "A feeder insect is only good as what it's fed". They may be expensive where you live, but where I buy them, their cheap. They are also the best staple food, in my opinion, for a leo...maybe that's because my gecko doesn't eat mealies yet. Cheers.

sammer021486

I need someone to recommend new feeders for my leo. I've tried crickets, but couldn't keep them alive for more than a few days and they're really expensive. I've tried mealies with a little more success... I still have a container full of dead mealworm and beetle bodies in my room that I dont have the guts to clean out. Need I say more? I've also tried pheonix worms, and they work out better, but most die before I can feed them to my lizards. Any recommendations?

Keep the crickets in a dry environment with ventilation, provide food for them in the form of fish food or cricket food and give them a shallow bowl of water, carrot, or cricket gel.

For the meal worms, dry environment with ventilation, provide a carrot, potatoe or cricket gel for water and for food the same as the crickets.

It is important to keep the moisture level down for both the crickets and mealworms and provide plenty of food and water. Avoid citrus foods because they will cause diarrhea in both the feeders and the geckos.

Just like your gecko it is good to keep the feeder's containers clean.

Visit our friends