Need some advice for my Crested

Micherie

Anxious newb needs help!! I just adopted a re-homed gecko (my first ever reptile) and I am a little concerned about a few things, hoping to get some advice.

Her 30 gallon vivarium, which has double doors and a screen on top, is at 78-80 degrees and 78-80% humidity all the time, all by itself. The other night I sprayed the plants and the humidity shot up to 90% and I got worried about her so I haven't sprayed since. I also haven't turned on her lamp during the day because I am afraid I'm gonna overheat her. But now the plants seem to be suffering and I am worried that she wont have enough water, even tho I have a bowl of water for her. I haven't even had her a full week. It has an analog Zoo Med temp/humidity gauge that is velcroed up near the top of the glass

She is currently placed about 20' from natural daylight. I am wondering if I should place her in front of the sliding glass door, but it faces west and again I am worried about overheating her.

I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for your help
Michele

indyana

It's not a good idea to use windows for light due to the possibility of the sunlight overheating the enclosure. For plants, fluorescent or LED bulbs can provide plant lighting with less heat, so investigate those options if your current lights get too hot.

Definitely invest in a digital hygrometer. Those analog ones are useless. Misting once per day lightly is usually fine, and water the plants just enough that the soil doesn't get dried out. It shouldn't feel wet all the time. :)

A small water dish is also fine to have. I think you will find the humidity gets more reasonable once you have an accurate meter and make sure the substrate isn't too wet

Micherie

It's not a good idea to use windows for light due to the possibility of the sunlight overheating the enclosure. For plants, fluorescent or LED bulbs can provide plant lighting with less heat, so investigate those options if your current lights get too hot.

Definitely invest in a digital hygrometer. Those analog ones are useless. Misting once per day lightly is usually fine, and water the plants just enough that the soil doesn't get dried out. It shouldn't feel wet all the time. :)

A small water dish is also fine to have. I think you will find the humidity gets more reasonable once you have an accurate meter and make sure the substrate isn't too wet

Thank you SO MUCH!! Pretty sure that bulb is a fluorescent so I'll give it a shot. Would it be ok to use it all day long while I'm at work and unable to monitor her?

Michele

Visit our friends