need some advice from any duchsund owners please!!!

nevinm

Moyer's Monsters
hi everyone!!! i havent been on here in a long time. life has taken me else where besides the computer. i still have all my reptiles and still work most the shows on the east cost. but with tryhing to start a family i dont have much time to be on the computer anymore. im sure you have all missed me here though :main_evilgrin: lol. anyway, me and my fiance have recently bought a duchshund puppy. i have owned dogs my entire life and have never had the trouble that i get from this bugger. i prepaired myself for this knowing how stubborn they can be. but was not prepaired for what he does. this dog will not defecate any where but in his crate. this has been going on steadly for the past 2 weeks. every single morning at 3 am like an alarm clock he defecates in his crate. im at the point where i would like to introduce him to my burmese pythons (that was a joke i would never do that, all the people that have been here a while knows my sense of humer). anyway, allison and me keep a consistant schedual and can not understand why he does this and how to correct it. i would love any advise as what to do.

ps. i am not new to keeping dogs, maybe i have just got lucky my whole life and always picked out smart dogs, but for the most part i know what i am doing and have worked with several trainers, but never came across a problem like this

thanks all
nev

JordanAng420

Hi Nevin! Wow, long time no see!!

Anyways, congrats on your new puppy and starting a new life and family. Good for you. Potty training can be very time consuming and is probably one of the most frusterating things.

The first thing that i'm going to tell you is...you're going to get all kinds of advice from people, all the way from one extreme to another. Whatever anybody tells you, make sure you DO NOT EVER restrict his water or food. I have a feeling some folks are going to tell you to pick the water and food bowls up at a certain time, please don't ever do that.

Now, is there someone home during the day?
-In the morning, when you wake up- take him out, then in. Feed him.
-20 minutes later, out again, then in.
- Lunchtime, out again, then in.
- He gets another meal. 20 minutes later, out again, then in.
- Bedtime, out, then in. He gets his meal, and 20 minutes later goes out, then in.

If he does have accidents, do not yell, scold, shove his face in it, drag him over to it...etc. They do not have the capabilities to rationalize, so if you yell for something he's already done previously, he's not going to understand. You must actually CATCH him in the middle of the act, and even then it's: "No, let's go outside".

Finally, the crate. How big is it? For potty training, the best thing to do is to get a crate that is small enough for him to get up, spin around, and lay back down again. Generally, dogs usually don't like to defecate where they sleep if they don't have to. Which brings me to another question...how long is the puppy being left in the crate for?

Herp Lover

Anyways, congrats on your new puppy and starting a new life and family. Good for you. Potty training can be very time consuming and is probably one of the most frusterating things.

The first thing that i'm going to tell you is...you're going to get all kinds of advice from people, all the way from one extreme to another. Whatever anybody tells you, make sure you DO NOT EVER restrict his water or food. I have a feeling some folks are going to tell you to pick the water and food bowls up at a certain time, please don't ever do that.

- Bedtime, out, then in. He gets his meal, and 20 minutes later goes out, then in.

If he does have accidents, do not yell, scold, shove his face in it, drag him over to it...etc. They do not have the capabilities to rationalize, so if you yell for something he's already done previously, he's not going to understand. You must actually CATCH him in the middle of the act, and even then it's: "No, let's go outside".

Finally, the crate. How big is it? For potty training, the best thing to do is to get a crate that is small enough for him to get up, spin around, and lay back down again. Generally, dogs usually don't like to defecate where they sleep if they don't have to. Which brings me to another question...how long is the puppy being left in the crate for?

I agree with everything posted here

nessa

I have a dachshund too and im still working with potty training mine. Hes not a puppy though he is a year and a half.

chiefyellowshirt

What was his living conditions prior to you getting him? Crate training can be diffacult if they came for a pet store enviroment, or if they spent most their time in cage type setting. You might want try to contact a rescue that has dealt with puppy mill dogs, as they have much more experience with retraining animals, which is a bit different than just basic training.

I did not make a big deal out defecating in the crate . I always picked it up if it was solid and took outside where he should go and left it there for a day. And treat positivily every time he uses the yard. My dog will go out in bad storms because he knows what comes next.

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
We have white and blue dachshunds . The white is 3 and still has accidents often. Though we imagine it is one of his gene defects (which caused him to be white and deaf) you can try leaving it in there with him a day if it's not too big nor wet. He will not want to sleep with it there so eventually he can figure out that way to stop it. Also switching to a smaller cage will double that effort.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Oh, Nevin... Welcome to the joys of dachshund ownership! I've potty trained quite a few dogs and the toughest one was a dachshund puppy. The only thing that worked for me was going out constantly. Every time she ate or drank we'd go outside and stay there until she did her business. It's been a while since you posted. How has it been going?

Barbel

I haven't been on in a while either.

Congrats on the puppy, but dachshunds are notoriously difficult to potty train (especially the smaller ones). I agree with pretty much everything previously posted. If his crate is too big, then he has room to potty and sleep away from it, so you may want to check it's size.

You said that you know exactly what time he poops during the night, so try and set an alarm to wake up about 15-20 minutes before his usual accident time. Then take him outside and wait for him to go and of course love on and praise him afterward. With potty training prevention is key. If you can prevent the accident from happening, then they won't associate going to the bathroom in that spot.

My pit bull had an issue with peeing in her crate as a puppy. A dog trainer told me they will learn that blankets, pillows, etc. are absorbent so they will use the bathroom on them and then push them aside. I don't know if it works the same with poop, but if you have anything like that in crate, you may want to remove it until the problem is resolved. It worked for us. Good luck!

kevinb

Noob breeder
I Have a dachshund x pitbull named Maggie and she wasn't to hard to potty train....considering my dad smokes and goes outside every 20 minutes Like clockwork. And yes she has short legs and a very wide body. :)

A&K Reptiles
[email protected]
(607)-372-4195

Keith N

We followed this rule and it worked perfect. Good luck

Visit our friends