need some advice

wesgray711

I just bought a leopard gecko and I have a couple questions...all help is appreciated. My first question is do I kept the heat lamp on
at all times? Secondly...when I spray his living area, do I only spray under his hide, or spray everywhere?

B

BioWorkZ

If you can try to get an "under tank heater". As for the heat lamp...I would personally leave it on at all times. BTW, is it the red type? Because if it isn't, your gecko my get confused not knowing when is day or night. As you may or may not know, they are nocturnal animals.

As for spraying, you should get a humid hide and mist it accordingly. It should be moist, but not damp. If you don't have a humid hide, I would spray in the hide (eventhough I don't think that's a good idea...that's why a humid hide is essential).

Final thought...check out: http://www.leopardgeckocare.net/ It has lots of info that would greatly aid you in keeping your gecko happy and healthy. I hope this helps.

F

fikken

the red light is very useful to have especially if you live in a colder climate. the red light is good to have because the leopard geckos cannot or do not really see/notice red itself. The also is a cool blue one that gives it a moon glow since that work just as well. The wattage you need depends on the size tank you wish to heat and the general temperature you want to keep it at. Also the room temp can change your adjustments (ie: if its in a basement vs an attic or regular heated room). I have my red light on at all times and when my dad is for some reason being particularly cheap and turning the heat down or off, i turn my spare red light on. UTH is very good to have because like the majority of reptiles they need the heat for digestion. you dont want to have too much heat and stress them out but too cold and they regurgitate the food and cant eat properly.

Visit our friends