Needing some advice on this new guy!

justindh1

This lil one hatched out today and I noticed that it has a pretty good eye deformity. The sucky thing is that this guy right out of the egg has some good color and looks like it could hypo out pretty good. The question that I have is should I cull it or not? I feel like I have a responsibility to try to help it survive and then adopt it out to someone experienced. Whats everyones opinion?
View attachment 32093

View attachment 32094

robin

i would sa cull it. its going to have eye problems because of that eye deformity/

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I would cull. The only way to make sure it is removed from the gene pool is to keep it yourself as a pet or cull it.

csdelisle

Just because the poor little guy doesn't live up to your "standards", doesn't mean you should go off and kill him. Help him live a good life.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it seems that at the least, the gecko will have one eye smaller than the other. I believe I see a functioning eyelid and that's a good sign. The real issue, as long as the gecko doesn't have no eyelids (which is painful and debilitating) is whether philosophically you feel that geckos with deformities should be removed from the gene pool in case someone decides to breed it anyway or whether you believe that any creature with the potential to live a relatively normal life should have a chance. I don't think there's any point in debating which way to go; it really depends on how you feel about it. I will say, though, that my understanding of eye deformities is that it's due to incubation not genetics.

If you decide to keep it and see how it goes, I can make a few recommendations based on my previous experience with hatchlngs with eye problems:
--if it is simply a smaller eye, you should expect to see it opening and closing without problems and the gecko will just look a little funky
--there's a chance that there's no eye there at all or that the eyelid is not functional. If the eyelid is having problems, I have found that dipping my finger in water and putting a drop on the eye several times a day keeps the eye moist and gives a chance to see how things develop. Someone on here actually posted a picture of a gecko that seemed to have generated an eyelid after some time. I have found that my geckos with eye problems were able to go from needing the eye moistened a few times a day to every few days or so and in one case, after moistening, it was able to open its eyes wide and started hunting for itself.

So, think about it and decide what you'd like to do.

Aliza

robin

the thing is with an eye deformity like that it is going to interfere with the quality of life

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I agree with culling. That's a pretty extreme deformity, and that animal will at the very least have problems catching prey and may develop extensive eye infections for the remainder of it's life. IMO, culling is the best option.

justindh1

I appreciate all the advice!

I wish that I could garantee that this lil one would be able to have a quality life but thats something that I can't. This is the only thing that would make me decide on whether culling it or not. I know its not genetics so culling it to get the genetics out of the gene pool is not a issue. I think I will more then likely cull it but just have to think about it a bit more. I wish I had someone who I could trust to adopt this guy with the pet only status!

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
I had a baby hatch like this last year, which i think it was incubation that caused it since it was incubating during the time that our ac broke so for about a week or so our incubator had crazy temps. but she is fine with no issues with eating or healthwise. i thought she was going to die for a short time when she was 2-3wks old but now shes fine and eats supers with no problems. I can send you photos on here if you would like. i would advise culling if she can't feed herself and she seems to be suffering but i handfed my lil one for a week or two but after that it ate perfectly on its own. let us know how it goes. like i said i have a gecko from last thats like that exactly with a small eye and a underbite. also if you think you may have a problem finding it a pet only home generally the adoption section here is pretty good for adopting out geckos that dont fit breeding standards. Mine shortly will be going to my mom. lol good luck with him or her its sure a cutie

Ehatcher

Im seeing more than an eye deformity. It looks like its whole jaw structure doesnt align and its head looks odd shaped.

I dont think it will be able to live a decent life, let alone a healthy one.....

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

when she hatched out she looked alot like your lil hatchling. she is healthy with no problems eating and drinking. for a short time i had to hand feed her when she was young but that was all. she eats superworms now and has ate crickets too. I would definitely give your lil one a chance to live and see if anyone you know wants a pet gecko for their child. if it can't eat and drink on its own and goes down hill then either you will need to put it down or it will bounce back which is what mine did, i thought she was going to die for a while but she didnt. its not so noticeable now on her but she did have a quite bad underbite and her jaw wasn't too well aligned either.

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
i can't guarantee the other one will live to thrive but i think it needs a chance to see if it will. im sure there are those out there that want a pet only gecko that will not use it for breeding. i know mine is not genetic since i have half siblings to it and no others have any deformities.
Justin good luck with the lil one let us all know of its progress. if it thrives let me know and i can try to help you find it a good pet home.

justindh1

Thanks for the post Danielle! All the information you gave me really helps. Your gecko does look exactly like mine but as an adult. They look very similiar. I will wait to see how it goes with this lil one! I felt like I should just atleast give it a chance. Thanks once again!

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
Your welcome. I believe in culling if it can't survive on its own or its obliviously in pain but otherwise its good to at least give it a chance because it could be a perfect class pet or childrens pet or something.

Visit our friends