New Baby Leo

muskiemagic

So I recently found out that my daughters 9 year old cousin was given a baby leo and I know she has no knowledge and no way of taking care of it properly. I have pleaded with her parents to return it to the pet store with no luck but they are allowing me to at least make a good enough setup to at least give the little guy a small chance to survive. All she has for a setup is a 10 gallon tank with no uth. Believe me I am not happy about the situation at all !!! I am going to be providing an extra 20 gallon tank and uth that I have laying around. I am wondering about uvb. With my leo I do not use uvb lighting. Instead I use Rapashy Cacium plus D3 every 3rd feeding. I know she is not going to be able to correctly give the correct amounts of D3 supplement. If I use a prot5 ho fixture with a 7% shade dweller bulb on top of a screen lid will this give enough uvb to at least give the little guy a chance instead of using a powder with D3 ? I know I am asking for a miracle that he can survive but I can't just let things be the way they have it setup. Im pretty much doing this to make myself feel better knowing I did everything I could.

muskiemagic

I have been told recently that there are more people these days providing UVB to leopard geckos. Check out arcadiareptile.com, especially the deep heat projector (https://www.arcadiareptile.com/heating/deep-heat-projector/) and the recommended UV florescent lighting for "shade dwellers".

Aliza
Yes I am aware of those products and they are awsome. I was just trying to find out if a uvb light on top of screen lid would provide enough for a Leo instead of mounting it inside enclosure. The enclosure I will be providing her isnt very tall so Im afraid mounting uvb inside would make it way to close. Not to mention it would be harder for her to remove screen lid for feedings and clean up with it mounted inside.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'd recommend mounting it outside. I think that website recommends that as well. Being nocturnal, leopard geckos don't need as much light as geckos that are up during the day.

Aliza

Visit our friends