New Crested Gecko Advice

xSimonDavidx

B957D779-FC7B-407C-BE01-82870FCBC1BD.jpeg
Hey, everyone! I’ve worked with reptiles for a while, but this is my first crested. I actually didn’t even plan on getting him, but when I saw him, his temp and humidity was incredibly low, there was no water in the tank, he was malnourished and looked like he was having trouble shedding. He’s been with me for a couple weeks now, and he’s doing really well. However, he will not eat any mealworms. I’ve tried leaving them in his food bowl, a separate bowl, holding it in my hands, setting it right in front of him, nothing. Does he just not like them? Or are they maybe too big for him? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
A lot of crested geckos and gargoyles need to be taught to eat live feeders. I've never bothered with mealworms with my cresties and gargs but I do feed crickets. When they were young, I would hold them and gently press a feeder against the mouth. Eventually they would bite them and pretty soon learned that they tasted good. Some, though, never get interested. I have a leachie that I've had for nearly 10 years and it's never been interested. You can always get the Pangea CGD with insects so they get the protein they need.

Aliza

Visit our friends