New Custom Crested Gecko Enclosure.

Gopherhockey03

Piece of Melamine 45" X 21" X 18" Resampled_2011-12-22_14-37-50_70.jpg

Framed it with 2" X 2" Screwed on sides of Melamine. Resampled_2011-12-23_16-01-53_991.jpg

Cut Polystyrene and designed ledges and a hanging hide.Then Grouted walls with Non- Sanded grout. Resampled_2011-12-29_14-44-39_619.jpg

Painted all walls Resampled_2011-12-30_17-30-55_970.jpg Resampled_2011-12-30_20-23-01_622.jpg

Then hung all fake plants!!! Resampled_2012-01-01_21-09-29_783.jpg

It took me two weeks to make. All wood was treated and everything is Non-toxic. The fake rocks and ledges were sprayed with Mod-podge so everything is waterproof! I still haven't mounted the door tho but the door is half clear Plexi and screen mesh! On top I have a clamp lamp but haven't decided on what type of bulb I want yet! And crested gecko experts help me out to make improvements!

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Wow, that looks great!!! That's huge too; your crestie is going to love all that space! As for lamps, I don't use any for my crested geckos. My vet recently told me that cresties may need UV light, so you could get one of those, but that would be the longer tube bulbs. I don't have one though...does anyone else use UV lamps for their cresties? (Sorry if this is going OT)

Gopherhockey03

There is a lot of debate from what I have read. They are nocturnal but many experienced breeders say skeletal problems have came up that were cured with a UV light. So maybe get one and keep it on for a 6 hours a day or something just to be safe they sure get it in the wild so It for sure wouldn't hurt them! But a 12 hour light cycle is a must!!!

Maryelizabeth

3 Year Member
Your viv looks pretty good.
I don't use a uv light, but I may get one when I move mine to a bigger cage.
I dont think you need it, but it wont hurt to have one.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Nice setup! Thanks for sharing your photos! Interesting to hear the different opinions on UVB - has anyone here experienced a sick gecko that turned around after adding UVB?

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Nice setup! Thanks for sharing your photos! Interesting to hear the different opinions on UVB - has anyone here experienced a sick gecko that turned around after adding UVB?

I've seen the opposite actually. My new little guy, Petrie, has had UV light most of his life and he still ended up with MBD. Since I've got him (and haven't had UV light on him) he's been looking much better. Granted, there are other factors involved there.

My vet said that most of the UVB lights they sell in stores aren't all that effective, so you also have to be careful which brand you buy. Unfortunately I didn't write down which ones were the good ones. I think she said ZooMed was good, and VitaLight. But don't quote me on that.

jess

repti-sun uv lights are 1 of the best 2 choose from. i use this brand 4 my bearded dragon & have had no problems, plus the reviews are gr8!!! as 4 having problems w/MBD, try some phoenix worms. they are suppose 2 do wonders 2 aid w/MBD!!!! a really good calcium 2 phosphorus ratio & they're very easy 2 maintain!!!

Khenut

I love this! Looks like so much fun. Someday I will buckle down and make my tank from scratch. Great job on it! I'm sure it will be well loved by your geckos!

mira_kaylee

Oh wow that is so amazing! I just recently joined the site and I was like "let's look at some set ups that people have, see what I should aim for" and i clicked on this and was just like.....wow....i'm thinking that this is the exception, not the rule, for crested gecko care XD It looks truly fantastic though!

Visit our friends