New DIY Hides

Chessie

Hey everyone,

I'm excited. Yesterday my little guy and I took our first step in our preparations for our new little pet. We made some hides. He wants to do a "Southwest" theme to the tank. I think these little huts will look nice since they slightly resemble adobe. I can't wait to get them painted.

GeckoHut1.JPG GeckoHut2.JPG GeckoHut3.JPG

Chessie

Thanks! I was just trying to vary the look of the three, since at the base of them, they are all plastic containers that are the same shape and size. I figured it would be easier to clean the insides if they had a plastic lining. Is there an advantage to having the moist hide have a top hole entrance?

Lavodnas

Very nice, I always like the way you incorporated the rocks. As far as having the entrance to the moist hide on top, it helps prevent any of the substrate (if you're using anything besides paper towels) from being kicked out. I've had the entrance on the side as well as on top and my lil guy seems to prefer the entrance on top as he loves to peek out of it from time to time. Just make sure he (or she) can easily get to the entrance once inside.

Chessie

I made them out of small square Ziploc containers that I turned upside down. I covered them with Crayola Air Drying clay. We mushed the clay over the containers, then pounded the clay with one of the small polished rocks to give it the texture. Once they are dry, I'm going to paint them with some craft paint and cover them with sealant. The entire project cost less than $20. I also used the extra clay to sculpt a little cow skull for our Southwest theme.

Silverbubble98

I really like them :) I might try making one when I get my Leo, I'm going with a wood/rock theme so might try and make one to match my theme :D

Chessie

Thanks! Here they are all painted and in the tank. I think everything turned out pretty well. Now we just need a gecko.

GeckoTank2.JPG

Visit our friends