New Enclosure

Jolenels

3 Year Member
We moved Dora to a bigger tank today. But there are some issues I need help with.

First off, I know I need to add more stuff in it, she went from a ten gallon to a sixty gallon. Is that too much space? Second, how to I keep the slate from hurting her belly? I currently have the repticarpet hodge podged in there to cover the edges but I can see an errant meal worm flipping it.

Previously she was on the main floor of our home. Sunlight hit her tank for large parts of the day and it worried us that she was getting too hot. Now that her tank is so big the only spot we have in the house is in the basement. Now we are worried it will be too cold. There is no lid on the tank, how do I keep the heat from the heat lamp in? I draped a blanket across it for this moment in time but I need to move it before bed because it's not exactly a safe alternative. I have a thermometer in her tank but I don't think it's working properly. I also need to know how large her UTH should be? She has a smaller one in there now. I know it has to be bigger but how much bigger?

Any other help you guys can offer? Thanks!!

Attachments

• dora tank.jpg
    dora tank.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 51

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
60 will not be too big. She'll appreciate the extra room if you will allow her to use it. The slate won't hurt her belly unless there are sharp jagged edges sticking up. If it's a normal slate tile piece that I'm thinking of, it should be AOK.
As for temperature, you need a working thermometer. I recommend a probe thermometer or an infrared thermometer. Once you know what the daily temps are in the basement, you can set up her enclosure accordingly. I have a feeling it's not as cold down there as you think - though it might get that cold in the winter.
You can get a glass lid for the tank or use both the heat pad and light. Like I said, once you get an idea of what temps you're already working with, you can augment them with the equipment you have.

Visit our friends