New enclosure

Wyatt

Hi, I’m new to this forum but have been in the hobby for several years. Usually I get my information from reptile you tubers or the internet. I have a particular question that I couldn’t exactly find the answer to. I have 2 leos and I just upgraded them to a new massive enclosure, I’ve always housed them together and have had no problems with it, but when I upgraded them to the newer enclosure, they seem really shy and aren’t getting out of their hides very much. Especially the female. They aren’t eating the mealworms I’ve provided them in the food dishes, but when I try to show it to them, the female scurries away and my male just stares blankly and doesn’t acknowledge the mealworm’s existence. This worries me because I don’t know if they are getting enough heat (because I use basking lamps) and I don’t know if they’re drinking either. Yes I’m aware they are nocturnal and might do this stuff at night but being the cautious person I am, I just want some professionals feedback. Thanks!
Wyatt

EricCartman

Changing up your lizard's environment can confuse them or stress them out. Give them some time to get used to their new enclosure. My lizard loves her hide and usually only leaves it to eat or be held: if your lizards seem scared or uncomfortable out of their hide that may just be their confusion about their new setup. Maybe try to put the hides/water bowls/ect. in the same general area as you had them in the smaller enclosure. If you are worried about heat, I would recommend an under tank heater. Try switching up feeder insects if you become really concerned, but otherwise just let them figure out their new surroundings :)

-I'm not an expert, but I know my leopard gecko gets confused if I change up her environment too much

Wyatt

Changing up your lizard's environment can confuse them or stress them out. Give them some time to get used to their new enclosure. My lizard loves her hide and usually only leaves it to eat or be held: if your lizards seem scared or uncomfortable out of their hide that may just be their confusion about their new setup. Maybe try to put the hides/water bowls/ect. in the same general area as you had them in the smaller enclosure. If you are worried about heat, I would recommend an under tank heater. Try switching up feeder insects if you become really concerned, but otherwise just let them figure out their new surroundings :)

-I'm not an expert, but I know my leopard gecko gets confused if I change up her environment too much
Thank you so much that helps tremendously

ZNature

Let them have a week to adjust, don’t take them out and don’t attempt to feed them. After that try to feed them in a bowl. Sometimes they are just shy in the first month or so and bowl feeding is a good way to get them to start eating again. Count out how many insects you are placing in the bowl and check back the next day to see how many they ate (use an escape proof bowl too). I wouldn’t worry too much about water because these guys can go long periods without it and they tend to be secretive when drinking water. If you want to reassure yourself that they are actually drinking water you could try and mist a bit of water on some decor or a wall on the enclosure next to them a see if they lick some of the water. I think your geckos will be just fine. Hope this helps.

Visit our friends