New Garg

Wbrown5496

Hello. I just picked up a garg today. It was an impulse buy. I went looking to get a crested but they were out :p This guy was so cool I decided to get him. This was like 4 hours ago. To be honest I chose one with a regrowing tail because I felt that people might not get him for that reason. Better pics in a few days when he is settled in. He definitely is not used to handling so any tips would be great. Anyways... here he is.

IMG_8080.jpg

IMG_8083.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

Set Up:
IMG_8095.jpg

Last edited:

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
With gargs, anything that looks similar or with higher color than the one you have would be good. It's not hard to get babies that are prettier than both parents. I'd be looking for something with high contrast white and black, no color at all. Gargs like that are cool, and not as common.

The tail thing isn't a big deal with gargs, it's so common for them to lose them that you can't really knock an animal with a re-grown tail. Give it a few months, and you'll likely not be able to tell it ever lost the tail anyway.

Wbrown5496

Thanks everyone for the great input. He ate 3ml of CGD last night and I'm still on the look out for poop. I don't know if this is all the way fired up but I figured I'd show you anyways. Thanks again. -Will

IMG_8131.jpg

Dron2124

Crested
Very nice garg. Wish mine was a nice black and white. Looked real nice black and white when i got her from the show but didn't think of her being stressed out and not fired up. She fires up real dark brown was a little dissapointed. If you find a nice black and white and get some black and white babies id be interested in getting at least one.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I just re-read the OP, and just have to say to you that I don't think you will regret getting a gragoyle instead of a crestie. And I'll just leave it at that- you'll know what I mean in a few months.

Wbrown5496

I already <3 this guy. He is definitely a lot better with handling now. He is still cage aggressive? Has anyone noticed this in garg's? He did bite me today and it bled. I was removing him from hide. I payed $65.00 for this guy. (He is a guy 100% sure) I going to look at getting him a female. They had 4 or 5 solid white unsexed at the store. Is this a good price or should I wait for show in April. Thanks. -Will

ento890

65.00 is an okay price for a male.

I would recommend adding some more plants into his cage, there does not seem to be much cover for him.

Remember that gargs are not as tolerant of each other than cresteds and can be VERY aggressive. I do not house mine together year round, only a month or two during breeding season. Also, he looks a little small to breed yet. While many other species do okay with a small male as long as the females are of proper weight, I would get him to at least 40-45 grams before breeding.

Blacksupra94

Nice garg, your set up needs some work though! I have my garg in a tall terrarium with tons of plants cocoa husk to hold humidity. If you know somebody handy you should turn the cage into a vertical orientation and build a door for the open top so your garg can climb high. :)

Wbrown5496

Thanks a ton for all the help. I will be upgrading the tank this weekend. He seems to be doing great. Can someone tell me if his poop is normal? Its the first time he has gone in my care. Also, some day time pics of him hiding in some plants. Thanks again. -Will

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8166.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg

Visit our friends