New gecko not eating?

cherishedtiger

Hello,

I picked up a new Albino Tangerine AFT on Saturday. Shes pretty much full grown and as sweet as can be. However, she still refuses to eat. Shes good size, healthy and I got her from Steve Sykes so I trust him and he said she was eating well on crickets and worms.
Well shes been refusing both, and so has my other female since her introduction. Is this normal? Just an adjusting phase?
Any tricks, thoughts or words of advice?
My smaller juvi female ate a king worm last night, but threw it up (I think she inhaled it as it came up looking like it did going down.) Not much chewing, a little too much for her to handle.

Thanks!

Jusselin

let her settle into her new tank....they can go up to 2 weeks with out eating due to stress. Dont handle her THAT oftenand just be patient....she will eat.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
At times it can take a reptile up to 2 weeks to fully acclimate to its new habitat and surroundings. Both geckos are probably not use to being housed with others, but it usually doesn't matter.

However, she could be ovulating also.

I would separate them and try feeding in about 3 days.

Also, since she came form Steve she was kept in a rack, what are you housing her in? Usually they get freaked out when placed into a larger enclosure. Especially going from rack to "tank".

cherishedtiger

Shes in a 30g long full tank set up. And being housed with my other female and male. Didnt think about the rack to full set-up shock. I will give her some more time to adjust. Luckily, her coming from Steve shes well fed and I dont have to worry about her starving from not eating.
And at night they are all nice and active, so shes not lethargic or hiding or avoiding.
If she seems to go down hill or anything I will separate her, just dont want to keep shocking her by going from alone, to group to alone and so on and so on. Again, I just didnt think it could take up to 2 weeks to acclimate. Thats my newbness showing off right there. :eek:

kkigs

If you received the care instructions that Steve includes with his animals, he actually states that it can take a month or more! I just received some animals from him a week ago, and none of them have eaten yet. In fact, I brought in 8 new animals last week including two fat-tails, and none of them have begun eating yet. Like you said, just keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't start to decline.

cherishedtiger

Didnt get a care sheet from Steve... maybe thats because I met him to pick up mine. (Yes Steve is local to me! how cool is that?!)
Ok, I will just let them be, sounds like thats the best way to go.

Thank you all for the advice, I wont worry as much now, but will keep a close eye on her.

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
I know steve and this is very common in his geckos. They aren't given a whole lot of one on one attention since it's basically a gecko factory he's got going on there. Every one of mine took at least a month and some longer to eat when I got them from him. Not to worry though because his geckos are extremely healthy, hearty animals. They just aren't used to tanks and humans looking at them like they are going to eat them! I would separate them though, quarantine is very important for at least 60 days no matter who you got them from. Plus if she's with a male, you may have another problem on your hands as she's gonna be producing eggs and not eating yet...no good. You need to separate her and let her get comfortable.

cherishedtiger

Hmmm... didnt think about the quarantine aspect... As for female with the male, my little boy is a juvenile, half her size not even sure if he would know what to do with her! :inquisitive:
But I do have another set up that I can put her in for a while just while shes adjusting.

Thank you again for the advice, these are my first fat tails so I am still learning as I go.

LZRDGRL

Even when your 2-3 months of quarantine are over, you can only put animals of equal size together. If your boy is half the size of your girl, she might bully him and keep him from getting to the food, and that's why they're not attempting to eat.

Chrissy

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Some geckos don't settle in as well as others. I recently got a Whiteout Zero on loan from Alex, and he didn't want to eat for over a week after he got here. I finally got him feeding on some mealies. Just give her time she will come around!

cherishedtiger

Ok... I was bad, I never seperated her... yes, I got lazy I guess... but guess what, not only is she eating and pooping (a lot mind you) but shes laying eggs even! Lets just say she has settled in nicely and is doing great. One big happy family.
Everyone was right, just had to give her time and let her adjust at her own speed.
Thank you for all the advice (even the advice I didnt exactly listen to) :eek:

Visit our friends