new gecko owner . . . . questions-

so i got a leopard gecko for my girl for her b-day. neither of us have ever had a lizard. we are learning as we go.

^question one:
the dude who sold me the gecko said that sand is bad. and after viewing multiple posts, i see why. so he recomended bark as a substitute. now after looking at multiple posts i have yet to see one person who uses this as a substrate.
*is bark in any way harmful to the geckos life? (as is sand)?

^question two:
what is the best way to heat the gecko's environment?
dude who sold me him sold me a ten gal. aquirium with a mesh screen top, a ballasted lamp with a 40 watt basking bulb, and a 60 watt red light night bulb. we bought a digi thermometer and basically it is always around 80 degrees, day or night. we try to change the bulb around the same time to give him a normal day/night schedule. but from what i've seen on the forum it's best to give him 90-95 degree heat in the day and around 80 degree heat during the night.

. . . . suggestions . . . suggestions . . . .suggestions

thank you-

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
1: Yes, bark is just as, if not more, dangerous. The safest substrates are those that can't possibly be eaten like paper towels, tiles, or repti-carpet.

2: You need an undertank heat pad. You can leave the red light on all the time to keep air temps up if necessary, and don't need the daytime basking light.

Misstasha

i use bark and soil and have no had a problem, i do not put any juveniles on bark tho!! Im sure it could be a huge problem if you feed your lizard on the substrate - I feed my leos in a dish so they dont have any problems with digesting the substrate!! :)

welcome to the forum!!

Visit our friends