New Gecko Wont Eat

A

alariviere

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a fat tail gecko, currently he is in a 10gallon tank, with under the tank heater, tiles for substrate, one hide on the hot side and one on the cool side, with a moist hide inbetween hot and cool side, I have two digital thermometers and the cool side ranges from 70 to 74 degrees and the hot side ranges from 87-89 degrees depending if I misted the tank or not. Im not sure if the temps are too low and thats why he is not eating, I have had him for almost 10 days and he deficated the day after I got him, but nothing since. I have tryed to feed him in the tank and the last two nights I have taken him out and put him in a bin with some mealworms and some crickets, but no luck. I do know they can go a while without eating and I havent been handleing him just yet, unless I take him out to put him in the feeding tub. Any suggestions would be great . (I have looked at serveral different care sheets including this one and the one thing I have found is that the temperatures they say range from 90 maximum on the hot side to 100 maximum on the hot side so maybe my temps are just too low?) Thanks in advance!
I do have many other types of reptiles but this is the first fat tail gecko, I want to make sure I do things right

Holly12

Hello I think you need to get the temps up to 90 see if that helps they can go without eating for a while. If he is fully grown then yeah he can go a a little while without food but frist get the temps up to 90. Now if he still does not eat for you then I would take him to the vet.

Wandering

Your temps are fine... i usually do 90-100 hot and 88-90 cold and the humid hide is just uncomfortable for my finger but they love it... keep doing what you do. make sure you dont have anything in the corners...

Visit our friends