New geckos, need medical tips

mrdonovan37

I recently purchased a pair of female geckos from someone and in the process of bringing them to their new home noticed that both seemed to have had bad sheds in the past, but seem to be doing well other than that (both have a bit of heft to them, and seemed active and healthy during transfer.) One seems to have lost a toenail or two to bad shed, and has one more with a white-ish node on the tip that looks like dead skin. The other has a small spot on her side with a similar spot. I made sure and immediately set up their humid hides and such, so that they can get a better moisture level. My question is what is the best way to treat the current spots of dead skin that are stuck, if that is indeed what they are (I touched the one on its side and it didn't react like it hurt or anything, it just seems to be where dead skin got stuck or didn't separate fully... its not very large either.) I was gonna try and do a warm bath once they get settled in and see if that loosens either spot up. Any tips or suggestions?

mrdonovan37

I figured it wasn't a big problem, they seem healthy otherwise. They are a bit older, sadly part of why I think he was selling, but I'm gonna make sure they are well taken care of (at 8 years old they could very well have plenty of life left in them, and I wanna see them healthy for it.)

mrdonovan37

Tried to feed today and the smaller of the two didn't seem too interested, while the big girl chowed down. The small girl did grab a cricket once, but it managed to flip out of her mouth and she didn't go after anymore. I took a few of the small MWs that I feed my juvenile leo and she took them, so she is eating. I'm just curious if anyone knows what could be causing this? They are both a little older, the guy I got them from said about 8 years old each. They aren't showing any signs of MGD (thankfully) and each took a little bit of calcium supplements I put in the tank for them. She has some spots on her that are dusty looking, kinda that pre-shed look to her in those areas. I've got a nice moist hide set up for them on either end, but she seems to prefer to stick to hiding with the other girl. I'm gonna try and fatten her back up on mws, if thats what it takes, just need to probably pick up some bigger ones, as these are kinda small for her I think.

Any tips on getting her back to feeding and healthy are appreciated. I tried a warm bath for her two non-shed toes but she panicked when she got into the water and I took her back out so she wouldn't hurt herself. Since the bigger one doesn't mind being handled, at feeding time I take her out to make sure the little girl has a chance to get the food.

Saphira

The soaking should help. Mine freaks out at first too when I put her in water..she does eventually mellow out. Make sure it isn't too hot or too cold... that adds to the nerves. LOL

you might need to separate them if the other ones eats all the food.

mrdonovan37

Yeah, the other one is pretty fat, and much heavier. I'm not sure if their last owner really knew to watch for bullying during feeding when you have cagemates. She is strong and fiesty though, so I'm not too worried about the weight right now, as she seems to be doing fairly well even being small. I'm just glad I did find something she likes to eat, or I might have killed myself worrying over her.

Visit our friends