new Geckos spending time on the floor

AdamDimond

I finally got the pair of day geckos, and they have been working through the 'wtf' stage of acclimation. However, both seem to be shedding or preparing to shed, so they both are occasionally on the ground- I think its because
the spot they pick is one of the most humid in the cage. The male did it the first day or two, then had a large shed. Now the female is doing similar behavior and both of them are having periods of dark skin- I thought it was stress, but it might be due to shedding. They are eating, and they are not aggressive toward one another,
so I think it is simply a combination of shedding and acclimating. They don't spend all of the time on the floor, usually it is in the evening and they climb up and around several hours after the light turns on. Any comments would be appreciated.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's good that they're spending some time higher up. Are they warm enough at night without the light? Maybe an infra red light to keep them warm at night. What kind of day geckos are they?

Aliza

AdamDimond

They are Madagascar Giant day geckos. The room temperature is about 80 degrees, and the cage temps are 82 on the cool side and about 90 on the hot side. It is in the normal range for these geckos-although it is on the lower side of that range. Maybe a few degrees warmer would help? I don't have a fixture for a nightlight at the moment. Also, both are eating well although one is far more adventurous about exploring the cage than the other. Since the active one spent time on the ground, shed, and is back to normal I suspect the other one is doing the same. Other than that they seem fine.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Sounds like they have just been getting acclimated, as you said. How are they doing these days?

Visit our friends