New Giant Day Gecko Owner - Feeding Question

skoram

Hi all. I am new to geckos and this forum. I just received a pair of Giant Day Geckos yesterday and they are being housed in an Exo Terra 60x450x60 (Medium Tall) enclosure with some rudimentary decorations. I plan to "rescape" the vivarium with more vertical perches and add a layered substrate and many live plants soon. Heating and UVB is provided by a 125W Sparkzoo Mercury Vapor combination UVA, UVB and heat lamp. I also purchased a bottle of Exo Terra Calcium + D3 supplement, Repashy's Crested Gecko Classic MRP and 50 feeder crickets.

I spent a good deal of time researching Giant Day Gecko requirements but am still uncertain about a *specific* feeding regime. I did plenty of searches (on this forum on others) on feeding schedules, how often to feed, etc. and the most detailed replies were something like "Repashy's two times a week and insects two times a week."

If possible, what I would like to know is - *how many* insects for each "insect day" and, how much Repashy's per feeding (i.e. 2 tablespoons). If you guys have any other comments regarding feeding schedules they would also be very appreciated. I'd also like to confirm again that most keepers only feed their geckos 4 or 5 days a week.

Thanks for all your help!

7LgZPwP.jpg

urnyrzk.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF! I've never kept Giant Day Geckos, but I've had smaller Phelsuma (both of them passed away this spring after 10 and 11 years with me). Here's my feeding regime for them:

Mon, Wed, Fri evenings I feed CGD. I know they're day geckos, but I feed my Rhacs CGD the same evenings and by the time I get around to feeding, it's almost morning anyway.
Monday and Friday mornings I feed crickets. I aim for about 4 crickets per gecko.
It worked for more than 10 years! I think they died of old age.

Aliza

skoram

Welcome to GF! I've never kept Giant Day Geckos, but I've had smaller Phelsuma (both of them passed away this spring after 10 and 11 years with me). Here's my feeding regime for them:

Mon, Wed, Fri evenings I feed CGD. I know they're day geckos, but I feed my Rhacs CGD the same evenings and by the time I get around to feeding, it's almost morning anyway.
Monday and Friday mornings I feed crickets. I aim for about 4 crickets per gecko.
It worked for more than 10 years! I think they died of old age.

Aliza

Thank you so much for the helpful reply! This is exactly the type of information I was looking for - 4 crickets twice per week per gecko, and CGD in between

:main_yes::main_yes::main_yes:

Visit our friends